Vintage Vegas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
March 15th 2022
Published: March 12th 2022
Edit Blog Post

You thought I was referring to wine. But I am referring to a visit to dear, longtime friends. Vintage Vegas generally refers to the older hotels and motels, or the type of fashion. Or, in my case, it refers to having a good time, the old-fashioned way. Our dear friend Debbie is headed to a golf tournament at La Quinta, so I will keep Ken company while she is gone. Her golf partner, Laura is also going, so her husband Jim, a former orthopedic surgeon will join our card games and dinners. As it turns out, the girls decided not to play in the Arizona golf tournament. So, we will enjoy everyone's company on this trip, after all! You are probably wondering what we will do for three days. One, we will play lots of cards. Two, we will dine very well. And three, maybe we will hit the strip clubs (just kidding!!!). We generally play a card game called "Spite and Malice" when it is just me and Ken. We switch to Wizard, or Skyjo with three or more players. I wish I could tell you that I am the big winner, but I think Ken has the upper hand in each of these games. He has one of those former "engineer" minds. This weekend, before I arrive: The Mint 400–the off-road race immortalized in Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas—returns to Southern Nevada with a weekend of events. The race itself roars through the desert in the Primm/Jean area and is best enjoyed from VIP seating areas. There's also an affiliated festival on Fremont Street on Thursday, qualifying laps on Friday, and an awards ceremony on Sunday. Staying in the suburbs has its advantages. We get to dine at their favorite places and avoid the hassle of parking downtown or on the Strip. One of my favorite stops is Nittaya's Secret Kitchen, about 3 miles away. She (Nittaya) has three restaurants in the Vegas area. I got to meet her on my last trip and enjoyed her Happy Hour immensely. Even Lady Gaga has dined there!!! You are probably wondering how we can play cards for hours and hours. Each game is different and can last from about 20 minutes to close to an hour! Plus, about 5pm, we add a "happy hour" to the proceedings, before heading out to dinner. Life is good! We will also do some leisurely biking around the community and the TPC Summerlin golf course. But board and card games will be the central theme. Let's hope for good weather, and some extremely good luck in the card games.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.215s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 32; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb