Return to Vegas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
November 2nd 2021
Published: October 30th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Yes, we have all been to Vegas a dozen times or more. Nothing surprises us anymore. The Strip, mega-casinos, and various attractions seem to blend in now. But I rarely hit the Strip, or even downtown, any longer. I head out to Summerlin, where my dear friends reside. Their gated community is an oasis in the Valley and feels like it could be located anywhere in the country. So, this trip, like many others, will not involve the Strip, shows, gambling, or fancy dinners. Instead, and I must emphasize preferably, I will spend my time out in Summerlin, playing cards, and enjoying my friends, Ken and Debbie. You might ask what we do with our time. Since I no longer play golf, the TPC Summerlin course sits not more than a 3 wood from their home. Mostly, we play cards, have some group meals, and just enjoy each other's company. That Vegas is just a place where my friends live is an understatement. The Vegas influence looms over everything, even out here in the suburbs of Summerlin. For one, most everything is new, rather over the top architecturally, and semi glitzy. Even the simplest of shopping areas have some bling about them. Most everything is clean, and well maintained. The cars and homes are high end. But my friends are just the best hosts, very caring people, with many friends and relatives always around. They are my second family! And we get to have dinner at a Thai fusion place nearby, called Nittaya, owned by some of their friends. Vegas has become a real sports town, as opposed to a sports betting city. They now have NFL Ray-duhs, and the NHL Golden Knights, minor league baseball, the NBA Summer League, and the Pac 12 and Mountain West Conference Basketball Tournaments. Vegas has a plethora of golf courses, and hosts PGA tournaments. Shopping is another big attraction here. Two big outlet malls, one near the airport, another just west of downtown attract many tourists. And when we drive to Vegas, we always stop in Primm, about an hour south of Vegas for more outlet shopping. All the big names have one or more locations in the bigger casinos, like Caesar's, Bellagio, Venetian, and ?? However, I do miss the days of big-name entertainment here in Vegas. Remember the big names, like Sinatra, Elvis, Nat, Wayne, Sammy, and The Folies Bergere? Can you believe Resorts World Las Vegas just bought a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner? They can fly 282 guests in a two-class configuration, but only 18 Business class seats. The range is 8,200 nautical miles. Crazy? I am just happy to spend a few days with good friends.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.159s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0837s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1mb