South to Jarbidge and the Start


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Elko
September 21st 2021
Published: September 23rd 2021
Edit Blog Post

The Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route starts in Jarbidge, Nevada, a few miles south of the state line. Don't ask me why we have to drive 170 mi South from Boise to get there. I think the route designers wanted to showcase the high desert. So that when you finally reach the mountains you are overjoyed. The drive down was a lot of fun. We did the long stretch South on high speed black top. Then we headed East to our destination on gravel, crossing a series of streams and canyons. The water runs South to North here, ending up in the Snake River. Crossing these water courses was interesting, until we reached the final drop off the plateau down to Jarbidge. The road down the side of the cliff had a big Road Closed sign, so I tried an alternate track along the top of the ridge, which went nowhere for an hour. So back and down through the Road Closed section. Ugh. Big rocks on the track, and a drop off the side. I was almost down when I got to a very tight hairpin band and went down. No harm done. I was going very slowly, and the bike can take the punishment. Used my trusty snowmobile one person jack to get vertical again, and carry on down.

The town, population 120 in summer, 40 in winter, is an old gold mining town, which boomed in 1910. At present it seems to live from tourism and the recent arrival of an Australian mining firm that promises to revitalize extraction. I saw the camps and helicopter landing pad, but little activity. The Jarbidge River is famous for trout fishing, but it was running very low when I visited. Great hotel and the best stocked bar I have seen in a small town.

Spent the evening at the bar and met a few of the permanent residents. Lots of stories and a great meal.

Days Travel: Boise ID to Jarbidge NV : 178 mi


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

As advertised, the plateau is broken by streams and valleysAs advertised, the plateau is broken by streams and valleys
As advertised, the plateau is broken by streams and valleys

Had lunch by the stream. Really hot day !
The Northern edge of Humbolt-Toiyabe National ForestThe Northern edge of Humbolt-Toiyabe National Forest
The Northern edge of Humbolt-Toiyabe National Forest

so now I am in Nevada. This is the biggest national forest in the Lower 48 apparently. Not many trees here.
There are antelope in this picture...There are antelope in this picture...
There are antelope in this picture...

with white bellies and light brown coats. Hard to see.
The road down to Jarbidge from the plateau was closedThe road down to Jarbidge from the plateau was closed
The road down to Jarbidge from the plateau was closed

but I went down it anyway, as there was no other access.
Great hotel, bar and restaurant.Great hotel, bar and restaurant.
Great hotel, bar and restaurant.

The bar had an amazing selection of booze, and a really friendly bartender.


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb