Hooray we're home! (reported a few months late)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nebraska » Omaha
March 15th 2008
Published: May 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well...we finally made it back to the great state of Nebraska. We were anxious and happy and sad to be back, paradoxially, all at the same time. The weather is going to take some getting used to. We have been spoiled by 80 degree heat. But, nothing feels better than being back in the presence of our families, making up for lost time. Sometimes it feels like we just left last week, and now we are back, when in reality it has been almost 1.5 years. And friends...well... the good ones, they are seriously hard to find! Another perk of being back is that we can re-kindle old and meaningful friendships.

So...we are learning to be Americans again. Husker football this...springs a comin that...it is going to take some time to get back into routine conversation mode. So many people ask us the very open-ended question, 'So, how was China?' We usually give them the simplest answer, 'good,' when really we have no clue how to describe what we have been through.

Man, it is going to be more difficult for me (Aaron) to fit in than I thought. I was listening to the radio a day after I got back while picking up my room and about went biserk. In my opinion, this commercial really epitomises us.

"Do you have $200 and a job? You can own a Kia."
"Do you have a house and $500? You can own a Kia."
"Do you have a credit card with a $1000 limit? You can own a Kia."


"Why not spend, spend, spend until you are so far trapped that you are drowing in perpetual debt? At least you can own a Kia!"

We are a nation of excess aren't we? Excess spending, excess eating, excess depression, excess work. I think we could make up a pretty big list of excesses. It seems to me that it is only a matter of time before many people (maybe the country as a whole) spend themselves into a mess they can't get out of. The bad news is, the hungry people on the other side of the world are getting their shit together, and are probably using our idiocy to their advantage. Sure, the world needs an ultra spending America. But, the world cycles and shifts, and I wouldn't be suprised if more and more of our business is taken elsewhere.

On the bright sight, we are young, happy, healthy, and glad to be back. However, after a few weeks at home, we have decided to venture off to another foreign land (to Aaron anyways), Honduras. The cement of our foundation has yet to be poured. So, we offer ourselves up to the winds of wanderers. Don't worry, this time only for a few months.

There has definately been a lack of planning for this jaunt, but it will probably be a different kind of vacation. Most of Ely's family still lives there, so we will be traveling around and staying with them. Into the unknown once again!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb