Dairy Queen Dessert Disaster


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana
November 26th 2008
Published: October 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We were surprised to open the curtains in the morning and see thick snowfall which had obviously been happening for a while. The deers looked freezing as the snow coated their backs. I guess they are used to it. I don't think I could ever acclimiatise, I 'm a hot weather fanatic. Thankfully soon after setting off the snow eased off and eventually stopped. We got over-excited when we thought we saw a wolf, it turned out to be a huskey dog and had a collar. Oops.

An hour or so drive saw us arrive at the US border. We parked up and entered the immigration office with our passports. We got given a few forms and were filling them out when Nic went to use the toilets. The power tripper behind the desk yelled at her "where do you think you're going?" Apparently we weren't allowed to use the facilities, why bother having them if you can't use them? Soon after I asked the guy about something on the form and got looked down upon like a piece of sh!t. I wasn't impressed. As we handed the forms over the office supervisor came over and was nice to us. Which in turn made the jerk change his tune. I hope the supervisor catches him being an unhelpful arse and fires him. Enough ranting, we were in the United States. Montana to be precise. It is the 4th biggest state in terms of size after Alaska, Texas and California. Yet it is 48th out of 50 in terms of population. Only 900,000 live in the "Big Sky" or "Treasure" state.

Through the afternoon we passed through small towns, I was going to try and avoid using the term hicksville, but some of them definetly were. The wide open fields stretched for miles, broken occasionally by Ayers rock-like hills with flat tops. The big expanses were utilised with wind farms and for cattle including buffalos.

Our first stop in the US was Great Falls, we checked into a Best Western hotel and got good rates for a double room. It had a pool too so we were happy. We treated ourselves to a restaurant meal. I pigged out on ribs. Afterwards, on the way back to the hotel Andre spotted a Dairy Queen, which is a chain that sell cakes and desserts. Although we were full-to-bust it would have been rude not to indulge in an icecream blizzard. The girls smartly declined. So when we arrived back stuffed like turkeys we were looking to just blob out and sleep. The girls made us swim though and started a whirlpool. They were lucky it didn't become an icecream and ribs whirlpool.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.317s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 26; qc: 118; dbt: 0.2068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb