Glacier and Yellowstone Parks


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » West Yellowstone
September 9th 2009
Published: September 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We have had marginal phone and internet service for six weeks. I guess that's the price we pay for the mountain views. We checked in to an RV Resort very close to Glacier National Park. We met up with friends Sandy and Bruce who travel in their 42' Holiday Rambler. The panorama view of glacier-topped mountains is too breath-taking to describe.

First day we hiked through the park to Avalanche Lake. The hike had a 500 ft. elevation, starting at 7,000 ft. We found that hiking 4 miles at this elevation was a real wake-up call. Need more oxygen. The next day we took the famous drive up "Road to the Sun." This was an experience. We had to stop to let a mountain goat come down the mountain and over the road.

Leaving Glacier we pulled into a truck stop for deisel and hit a dip in the pavement. We torqued our steel bicycle carrier. So, after trashing it and putting the bikes in the car, we continued on. What next?

On the 2 -day trip to Yellowstone, Princess started bleeding profusely from a "personal area." So we took a 150-mile round trip drive to the nearest Vet. A tumor was extracted. Good news... benign. She is "prisoner to her nose" again so we think she is doing fine.

On to doing the tourist things. We camped at "Grizzly RV," just 3 miles outside Yellowstone National Park. Half the park road was closed for construction so it was quite congested on the West-to-North route. They have two seasons here...winter and road construction. So we tolerated it. We found a nest of American Bald Eagles. It was impossible to pull over, but we got a picture of one of the eagles. The geysers are quite spectacular. Frost warnings the last two nights, so tomorrow we are heading South, by way of the Grand Tetons. We will do some dry camping (no electric, water or sewer.) But, we have "Happy Hour" to keep us warm, along with the friendship of Bruce, Sandy and their Golden Retreiver, Taggie.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Avalanche LakeAvalanche Lake
Avalanche Lake

Glacier Nat'l Park
St.Mary's Lake,GlacierSt.Mary's Lake,Glacier
St.Mary's Lake,Glacier

Tom's loving this trip
Old Faithful Old Faithful
Old Faithful

2pm, on time
PaintPot GeyserPaintPot Geyser
PaintPot Geyser

More than he imagined


15th September 2009

Great Vacation
The pictures are beautiful and the wildlife is something else. One day we will be heading west and see some of those sights. We are winding down for the summer, currently at TT Indian Lakes in Batesville, In and will start heading back to Texas for the winter in a week or two. That was great news about your dog Princess. Hope to see you again during your travels. Take care and God Bless.
23rd September 2009

Winding Down
Winding down is just what we are doing too! Headed to AZ. We painted the pickleball court at Batesville with help from friend Kathy. Have a great winter.

Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0844s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb