Day 4 of 21 - Psalms 83:14 As the fire burns the woods, And as the flame sets the mountains on fire,


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Missoula
July 10th 2013
Published: July 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We were on the road by 9:00am and headed west on SR 87 which surprisingly was quick to reach Montana (I guess we were closer to Montana than we thought!). The drive was scenic and we saw lots of farm and ranch land all the way up onto I287 North which brought us to Ennis, a cute little fishing town that we thought, if we had the time, we would stop and visit - "another trip" is what we saying to each other. We branched over to a short cut on SR 359 to I90 west/north west Passing through Butte to our destination Missoula.

We arrived at Jim and Mary's RV Park at 2:30pm, located right off I90 on I93 which is the interstate we need to take on our route up to Glacier (very convenient!). The campground is very clean and cute and lots and lots of grass (Roxy really likes the grass!) and HUGE long campsites which were super easy to back in to.

Our first stop was the USFS Smokejumper Visitor Center. We arrived at the little center with exhibits displaying their gear, short videos, replica of a watch tower, etc but did not realize that there was a guided tour about to start! The tour was amazing! They took us through the parachute repair area, parachute hanging room, the supply cargo room, the plane itself...very, very interesting! Especially for me and the boys since Jeff already knew most of this. When he was with the USFS he was stationed at a Smokejumper station in Idaho on an off-forrest assignment. So most of this he'd already seen and knew about!

After, our tour we got lost in the town of Missoula trying to get a hold of the town so we wouldn't be totally lost trying to find the university tomorrow for our campus tour...it seemed like a busy college town and soooo many people were riding bikes commuting! Missoula, as we're finding out, is a big town!

We were tired of being in the truck, so we headed to the campground to stretch our legs and eat our grilled tri-tip and baked potatoes and play a game of scrabble. Rex won the game, with Ryan in a close second! Smart kids I tell ya!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Parachute hanging roomParachute hanging room
Parachute hanging room

Super high ceilings with hooks and pulleys
Contents of a supply/cargo packContents of a supply/cargo pack
Contents of a supply/cargo pack

Spam is in every pack!


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb