Day 3 of 21 - Deuteronomy 8:7 "For the LORD your God is bringing you into a good land, a land of brooks of water, of fountains and springs, that flow out of valleys and hills;


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Idaho » Island Park
July 9th 2013
Published: July 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Started out the door by 10am with a plan of what to see from the campground hosts. W headed first to Big Springs and Johnny Sack Cabin. Big Springs is a Natural National Landmark And is one of the 40 largest natural springs in the world. It produces over 120 million gallons of water each day And creates the headwaters of the Henrys Fork of the Snake River which eventually creates Upper and Lower Mesa Falls (more on that in a bit). Truly amazing the see Gods handiwork and His provision for life in such an amazing way! Also at the springs location was a beautiful cabin built by German immigrant Johnny Sack in 1929. He was an artisan of woodworking and his cabin is truly representative of what his gifts were! He also built a water wheel which created power for his tiny cabin. What a beautiful display of his craftsmanship and the detail he took in creating every thing you look at in the cabin from the beds and furniture to the cabinetry and beautiful wood floors. He was just 4' 11" and passed away in 1957 and the cabin is now an interpretive center.

From there we headed to Upper Mesa Falls. The Falls cascade down 114 feet from the tuff. The path down to the falls starts at the interpretive center which use to be Big Falls Inn built between 1912-1914 by Mesa Power Company as an office and later became a stopping point for travelers going to Yellowstone. We were delighted to view an Osprey nest from a power scope set up on the porch of the inn! My words do not describe the beauty of the falls so I'll insert photos that will hopefully capture it.

The afternoon was pretty much a wild goose chase to find a good fishing spot after we forked over $26 for 1 day fishing licenses. We learned not to trust our iOS device's navigation systems for sure! We did get to see a moose running through the timber, so that made our "wild adventure" all worth it! Needless to say we did not catch anything and ended up back at camp to quickly grill burgers so that we could try fishing at Lake Henry...again...no luck...but we fished until 9pm as that was when the sun set.

We came home and began getting things packed up and ready for our next day of travel north.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb