Great time to have a day off!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Missoula
July 31st 2018
Published: August 1st 2018
Edit Blog Post

My daughter Breanna and her roommate SarahMy daughter Breanna and her roommate SarahMy daughter Breanna and her roommate Sarah

They put on their white Coats and said the Hippocratic Oath today! I am very proud of her!
Today was a great time to be off the bicycle.

This was the day my daughter Breanna put on her Doctor’s white coat and said the Hippocratic Oath!
I am very proud of that young lady!

If I was riding my bike I would have missed it!

Earlier, Bruce and I went to breakfast at Hob Nob and then rode our bikes over to Adventure Cycling so he could get the tour.

Then it was time to watch Breanna.

We stopped at the Mercantile for a very light lunch and watched the ceremony. Thank Heavens for the internet!

Later, Bruce and I rode our bikes down to Historic Fort Missoula and took the tour.

It was established in 1877 to maintain control over Western Montana and was the only Fort west of the Continental Divide.

It really didn’t play much of a role in Western US History until the late 19th Century.

What caught our interest was that in 1892, Army General Nelson Miles asked 2nd LT James Moss to organize the 25th Infantry Bicycle Corps. The Army Department wanted to see if bicycles could do a better job than horses.

The Corps consisted of eight African American Solders and was soon able to ride in formation, drill, scale 9 foot fences, ford streams and pedal 40 miles a day.

All this on 80 lb, single speed Spaulding Bicycles’s.

It was fun to look at one of the bikes and read about their adventures and challenges.

The mission was successful although there were lots of challenges. Apparently this was not a game changer because nothing came of it.

After that we walked the grounds of the Fort and took quite a few pictures.

On the way home, we stopped at Bayern Brewing Company for an early dinner and returned to the Holiday Inn for a little baseball before bed.

Today was another relaxed day, but tomorrow the westbound riding begins in earnest.

We will be crossing into Idaho as we go up and over the Lolo Pass.

Should be a beautiful day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Sculpture at the University of MontanaSculpture at the University of Montana
Sculpture at the University of Montana

This Sculpture was dedicated to making sure the next generations never forget those solders who made the Ultimate Sacrifice!


1st August 2018
My daughter Breanna and her roommate Sarah

Congratulations
Congratulations ???? to you and Breanna. You may receive this 3 times I’m trying to figure out how to send it.
1st August 2018

Congrats to your daughter on her HUGE accomplishment
Great accomplishments seem to run in your family! Don’t you LOVE Missoula? I’ve spent a lot of time there with my dear friends! I’m glad there are no forest fires burning there this year! Enjoy! K
1st August 2018

Congrats!
What a great day and congratulations to you, Dad. Karil, Sherri and I watched the live stream. Very exciting. Love the great photos.
1st August 2018

Congratulations
Congratulations Bob, very good reason to be proud of your Little girl... You two boys enjoy your rides...

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb