Seeing the USA in our RV


Advertisement
Published: July 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Whitewater Rafting. Gathering at 5:45 AM we sign the necessary waivers and board vans for an hour and a half ride across the plains and into the mountains, crossing the Continental Divide at Rogers Pass. This is an excursion put on by Malmstrom AFB's Outdoor Recreation Dept which provides all the gear and guides. We begin donning our wetsuits, PFDs, helmets, etc and receive a very thorough safety briefing. We're told that the water is 58 degrees (the soakings we receive later feel a lot colder) but that doesn't stop some of the younger folks from taking a volunteer swim. Our first 7 miles is a smooth paddle as we learn how to sit on the side of the inflatable, jamming our feet into the space between the floor and sides as an anchor, and paddle on command. The mountain scenery is magnificent and the sun splashed clarity of the day matches a 70's temperature. On the drive in we passed mountainside pine forests devastated by the pine bark beetle but along the Blackfoot River there are unspoiled growth areas, interspersed with open grassed areas. To save some specific trees foresters are using pheromone science to deter the beetle's devouring nature.
After lunch at our pull out area we encounter our real whitewater experience with the high, fast water giving us a Disney E ticket thrill. We experience amazing eddy's that rotate the raft and share the power of the water along with over rock water “holes” that display the dangers talked about in the safety lectures. Frequent dousings remind us of the water temperature with sightings of eagles and ospreys to highlight the magnificence of nature. One malamute (bird) struggled across the river in front of us to rejoin her family. Along the way we relaxed and shared experiences as most of my raft mates were younger active duty airmen on a day off between security shifts guarding the 150 ICBM missiles in this sector.
Pulling the rafts out after 15 miles of fun we change back to dry clothes and repack for the trip back. Along the way we've seen how the other half lives at a resort ranch bordering the river but our military sponsored excursion couldn't be matched for enjoyment. To make it more economical most of the trained guides are “volunteers” who take a leave day from their “day jobs” at the base to ensure our safety while enjoying a day on the river. Tomorrow it's back to preparing our rig for the trip north while seeing the Great Falls rapids with all this water.
The next day we enjoy some authentic Cajun food (a tip from our rafting friends) before finding the Great Falls of the Missouri with directions from the National Forest Service's Lewis and Clark Information Center. The Falls truly are a magnificent spectacle with the high water and you want to ask our forefathers why they had to build a dam at the same site to diminish the wonderful visual of the falls. The displays about Lewis and Clark's “discovery” of the falls and the resultant portage are very informative. Commercial electric generation is ever present. We did learn in our excursion yesterday that they're periodically stopping the wind generation because they're generating too much hydro power in Washington state. (So why aren't they eliminating the coal fired plants?) You've got to wonder at our politicians.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb