25 June Glacier NP West End


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We awoke to a beautiful day and got an early start. We drove from Coram, MT to the West Entrance to Glacier NP and up to Logan pass, then down the other side to the Jackson Glacier Overlook, where we had to turn back yesterday, and then back to the camp ground. The first part of the road ran along the south side of McDonald Lake which was still - - so we got several really nice reflection photos. Then it ran along McDonald Creek, which had several low waterfalls and a lot of rapids. The road was narrow, sometimes a little rough and had construction in places with significant waits. It frequently had no guard rails and no shoulder. But, what magnificent scenery ! ! ! We saw dozens of water falls, large and small, streams that ran through snow banks creating snow bridges. Up at the Logan Pass visitors center, the snow was at least 6 ft deep. We saw several Columbian Ground Squirrels that were really cute. On the way back to camp a deer walked through the parking lot and across the street. Got back to the camp ground about 2 PM after a 6 hour tour. Decided to stay in camp one more night and move on tomorrow - - took the afternoon off.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Columbian Ground SquirrelColumbian Ground Squirrel
Columbian Ground Squirrel

Looks lilke he's eating the stick, but he is eating some sort of seed
Visitors Center Parking LotVisitors Center Parking Lot
Visitors Center Parking Lot

Notice the red tour busses in the foreground - - They're called jammers because in the early years they had manual transmissions and they had to "jam" them into gear or they would grind the gears.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb