Driving Montana


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Gardiner
July 10th 2016
Published: July 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

10 Jul 2016: I wanted to get an early start because our destination was just over 450 miles. Our trip planner informed us that would be 8 hours and 8 minutes driving time plus time for lunch and time getting lost. We awoke at 0700 hurriedly completed preparations for departure and we're rolling out of the campsite by 0850. For us, that's early. Ideally, we like to travel between 1000 and 1600 hrs. That should take us about 300 miles.

As soon as we left camp, it started to rain. It continued to rain off and on until we reached the U.S. border with Cananda. From the Fishing Bridge RV park we drove North to Canyon Village then West to Norris, North through Mammoth Hot Springs to the North exit. Our map shows a feature called "Roosevelt Arch" at the Park boundary and I was expecting to see something geologic but instead saw a brick and mortar ediface. Furgeddaboudit, and we drove on into Gardner, Montana. Our route on. US 89 paralleled the Yellowstone River and there were many rafting and trout fishing guide businesses along the highway. We passed by an historical marker in the Shields Valley announcing the Lewis and Clark expedition passed through there on their way back from Oregon in 1806. We drove through a mountainous stretch in heavy rain. I slowed our pace until the road straighted out. Next, we arrived in Great Falls and crossed the Missouri river. We then got on Interstate 15 and made it to Shelbyville, Sweet grass and the U.S. Canadian border.
Our border agent was very efficient. He asked us about firearms...about five times and in several ways. I told him the truth. No firearms, we'Re clean. He stamped our passports and we were in Canada. Onward to Lethbridge where we were challenged locating our park but after 45 minutes or so we found it due to the prominent signs surrounding it. It turns out the street address is the mailing address, not the physical address. We checked in, got our site, pulled in and set everything up. It was 1800 hrs, a ten hour trip.

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command. With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb