Visiting Lexington, MO and Fort Osage


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri
October 25th 2011
Published: October 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

At the Battle of Lexington State Historic Site the guns have long been silent, but the remnants of those violent memories will likely echo for generations. There is one hundred acres of gardens and orchards to walk through and explore. Look carefully and you can still see the trenches where soldiers fought and died so many years ago. Also on the site is the Anderson House which was at the center of a very violent three day battle in 1861. Look closely and you can still find the damage caused from musket balls that ripped into the brick of the structure. Also on the property are the graves of unknown Union soldier that lost their lives during the bloody battle.

Close enough to Lexington to be included in a day trip is Fort Osage. A thing to note about the fort is that it was built using the plans from the original fort. Famous explorers Lewis and Clark noticed the spot as great position for a fort.
The fort appears as the original did in 1812 when its purpose was to maintain a stable relationship with the Native American tribes.
The fort was closed in 1827 due to the beginning construction of Fort Leavenworth in Kansas.
Occasionally visitors are treated to living history displays as actors portray how life may have been during the time period. It is truly a great place to take the entire family.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Anderson HouseAnderson House
Anderson House

Bullet hole in the brick of the Anderson House
Fort Osage, Sibley, MOFort Osage, Sibley, MO
Fort Osage, Sibley, MO

Looking up at Fort Osage from the river.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb