A Magical Journey Through Powell Gardens


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri
May 9th 2011
Published: June 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

It was the perfect day for a relaxing stroll through Powell Gardens. The day started warm and everything was green and blooming out. The majority of the flowers were blooming in the most brilliant colors and shades throughout the gardens making for a tranquil walk through several very different areas.
The Perennial Gardens offered a plethora of vividly colored perennials that made for a stimulating walk through the concrete and brick path that wound lazily around the Japanese Pagoda Tree and the resting Parasaurolophus and the Tyrannosaurus Rex lurking behind the bushes.
As the heat of the day begins to settle in, the Rock and Waterfall Garden provides a welcome relief from the sun. Speckled sunlight falls on the path as it makes the shades of emerald glow through the canopy of freshly unfurled leaves. Two streams spill over a few humble waterfalls adding an audible aesthetic to the air. Stealing through the foliage are Bambiraptors and Heterodontosaurus stalking their next meal. An Allosaurus with three young ones ambles along the wood line of the garden.
The Marjorie Powell Allen Chapel, a design by Fay Jones and Maurice Jennings Architects, emits an energy that can seem almost magical. There is a perception that emanates from the Chapel that seems to alleviate any tension a person may be experiencing.
Guarding the walk into the Island Garden are a Placerias and a Postosuchus waiting for a stray visitor to leave the path. The six hundred foot “living” wall, the longest in the country, lines the path through the Island Garden. It houses plants from nearly every continent. Here you will find more than two hundred types of water plants that lend a brilliance of color among the stone and water displays. An arbor looks over the lake and allows for a rest while watching the wind lapping the waves.
Crossing the wooden bridge, trimmed in turquoise, to the area where kids can truly interact with the Jurassic Gardens exhibit. Digging in the I Dig Dinos Sandbox or having their own Fossil Dig is sure to make the walk worth it.
More than 2,000 food plant varieties can be found in the newest addition to Powell Gardens. The Heartland Harvest Garden uses several destinations for its inspiration, including Tuscany vineyards. The observation silo provides a vast view of the garden.
You do not have to be an expert in flowers to enjoy a leisurely walk through the wildflowers and carefully planned gardens that make it nearly impossible not to slow down and enjoy being in the outdoors. The Jurassic Gardens is a complimentary exhibit that adds to the overall experience of Powell Gardens.



Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb