3rd person detachment


Advertisement
Published: August 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Although mbaade is missing Beijing like whoa, she is also happy to be back in the Ozarks, even if for just this brief time. She has finally come to terms with the fact that she was born at the Lake and will hopefully die here someday, as she does indeed plan to move back here permanently… once her wanderlust is satisfied, that is.

Actually, mbaade’s not sure that her need to move will ever be fully satiated and guesses that she will have to close shop for a month each year and go travel slowly in some other time zone.

Speaking of time zones, she is quite thrilled to be back in the same time zone as her family and friends, despite the fact that they all live different lives in different countries. The very exciting thing, though, is that Nicaragua is also on US Central time, so she can keep in touch a little easier during her 27 months of Peace Corps Volunteer service in Central America.

At the moment it is quite difficult for mbaade to imagine Nicaragua. It is so far outside her peripheral vision that it seems surreal, especially when she realizes that in two weeks she’ll be down there. At night, as she waits to fall asleep, she tries to glean some understanding by picturing the photos and stories she’s seen on the PCV website and in Central America guidebooks. She tries to think of small, basic conversations in Spanish… and is endlessly frustrated when it comes out as Chanish instead. And then she remembers traveling in Mexico and being able to understand most of the Spanish, but only being able to answer in Chinese. And some part of her worries that when she does indeed become fluent in Spanish, then next time she goes to Beijing she will be able to understand the Chinese, but only answer in Spanish… or Spanese.

And on that note, mbaade needs to get back to fully unpacking her Beijing suitcases. So she can pack up her room. And pack for 27 months in unknown territory.

One step at a time, she tells herself.


***
nicaragua via lonely planet
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/nicaragua/



Advertisement



21st August 2008

?
Why does mbaade write in 3rd person now? Is mbaade's next adventure to become a professional wrestler? She's starting to speak like one. "Mbaade knows where Mbaade goes!" That could be her signature line.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb