What will YOU build?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri » Joplin
July 29th 2013
Published: July 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our team joined together to share dinner with one of the partner families we'll be working with this week. The Sherman family, John and Sunshine, along with their three children, Jade, Kayla and Steven are excited for their new home and eager to start on the construction. Madison and Scott from the Joplin Habitat for Humanity affiliate shared information and statistics from the 2011 tornado. Over 8,000 buildings (homes and businesses) were damaged or destroyed and over 17,000 residents were displaced from their homes. As they went through their presentation, a question on the slides caught my attention. What will you build?

After dinner, we had our first team reflection and I asked the team...during this week, what will you build? Here are the responses shared: relationships, knowledge about what happened, memories, hope, a simpler life, volunteerism, community and a home for these families. Truly we are here to help build a house...a physical structure and yet. during this week we'll strive to build much more. We are feeling prepared for tomorrow and our "building" has already begun!

Written by: Mary

Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0983s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb