Tigers and Beer! 52 miles, 3200’


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri » Farmington
June 15th 2018
Published: June 15th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Today we said goodbye to Illinois early in the morning and rode our bikes across the massive Mississippi River into Missouri.

We anticipated one opportunity to fill our water bottles at the twelve mile point in St Mary, and then we would see nothing but rural roads and farms for 38 miles until reaching Farmington.

As we were taking a break at the Convenience Store in St. Mary, another cyclist named Robbie pulled up outside.

I mentioned meeting Robbie a couple of days ago as I was on my way to Carbondale.

At that point we decided to continue to Farmington together.

We made good time going up and down the steep hills. The hills were challenging but after Kentucky they seemed less daunting in comparison.

Bruce of course, while riding his carbon Focus bicycle with his minimalist 10lb bag was riding ahead of us and stopping politely to wait on numerous occasions.

At one point, he turned into a driveway to wait and discovered he was at a Tiger Sanctuary! We pulled in behind him looking for a water bottle refill.

They were just opening up and ready to give their first
Bruce pointing to the bridge over the Mississippi Bruce pointing to the bridge over the Mississippi Bruce pointing to the bridge over the Mississippi

We crossed this bridge into Missouri only 2 miles into the ride.
tour in 1/2 hour. So, of course, we decided to go see some tigers! During the tour it was explained to us that a philanthropist decided to build a place to rescue abused big cats. They have had many tigers through the years but presently have three.

After the tour we climbed back on the bikes for the last 20 miles into Farmington.

Another serendipity occurred eight more miles down the road when we passed the modern and well appointed Crown Valley Brewing Company sitting right in the middle of nowhere. It was amazing!

You will see a picture of us toasting our good fortune.

After a beer and lunch, that last twelve miles into Farmington went by in a hurry. We hardly noticed the 96 degree humid temperature.

Robbie went to his Hostel and we went on to our Comfort Suites.

We all met for dinner at the 12 West Bar and Grill and had the finest meal I have had since leaving San Diego.

My Spinich salad was wonderful and the Grilled Salmon was perfect. What a treat. Bruce and Robbie also loved their meals.

Another great day on the
Saying goodbye to Popeye the Sailor ManSaying goodbye to Popeye the Sailor ManSaying goodbye to Popeye the Sailor Man

This statue sits in a small park just before leaving Chester.
bikes!




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Crown Ridge Tiger SanctuaryCrown Ridge Tiger Sanctuary
Crown Ridge Tiger Sanctuary

This was donated by a philanthropist who wanted to save mistreated big cats. Presently there are three Bengal Tigers.
A toast to the day at Crown Valley Brewing CompanyA toast to the day at Crown Valley Brewing Company
A toast to the day at Crown Valley Brewing Company

Bruce, Robbie and Bob were quite surprised to find this modern and well presented brew pub. The food was also very good.


15th June 2018

Beers
Cheers Bob and Bruce.
17th June 2018

Hi Malena
Nice to hear from you.
16th June 2018
A toast to the day at Crown Valley Brewing Company

Barbarous
Looks like Bruce is lacking in grizzled growth!
17th June 2018
A toast to the day at Crown Valley Brewing Company

Paul
He won’t get into the groove on this.

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0719s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb