Oh don't worry, we have NEVER FLOODED!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri » Cabool
June 29th 2014
Published: July 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Sorry it has been so long since I blogged but we have had a bit of excitement and then we were without the internet for a few days. We have been here in Branson, MO since Monday drying out. More about that later. I listed the town that we were in as Cabool, MO. That isn't correct but the blog doesn't have Van Buren, MO as a town so I chose the one closest to where we were. We left Severville, TN on the 26th and headed just 50 miles up the road to Knoxville to a repair place called East Tennessee Luxury Coach to get a couple of our blinds fixed (cords broke). We had run across this guy on the Prevost Forum and he was only 50 miles from us and so we decided to take advantage of the convenience while we were in the area. He fixed us up in nothing flat and was cheap too. We were very happy campers! We left there on Friday morning and spent the night in Clarksville, TN as we had decided to skip Nashville since we had been there before and head to Branson instead. The next day Don really hadn't been feeling too well so we decided not to push it all the way to Branson and we found a nice little place on the Current River in Van Buren, MO. Since it was a Saturday, it was hoppin' with people who were floating the river on tubes and rafts drinking and having fun. It was a Mom & Pop place and the people who owned the park were California transplants. We got to talking to them and were having a good time so we decided to stay an extra day. I don't know if that was a good idea or a bad idea. Around 8pm the sky started turning really dark and you could hear the thunder in the distance. Then all of a sudden it was upon us. I have never experienced rain and thunder and lighting like that in my life! The thunder was so loud it literally shook the Coach! The rain came down so hard that you couldn't even see across the street. I felt so bad for the tent campers. It rained all night and didn't stop until about 4pm the next day. By then most everyone in the campground had cleared out except us, the guy and his daughter next to us, and a few people that stayed there for the summer. When it finally quit for good everyone was out and about after being cooped up for so long. Then we noticed a lot of commotion going on across the river at the RV park there. Well long story short, it is an "owner" campground and the Current River was in flood stage so they needed to get their trailers out of there and quick. Problem was that many of them weren't there that weekend and so the people that were there were trying to get a hold of them and if they had keys to trailers they were able to get in and put the slides in and move them but if they didn't well, they didn't get moved. I have never seen anything like this before in my life. That river came up so fast it was unbelievable. You will see from my pictures that there are 2 trailers and some tents that didn't get moved and got caught and one of the trailers became dislodged after awhile and went floating down the river. I didn't have my camera when that happened to get a picture but it was very creepy to watch. It really makes me think twice now about staying on water. We were never in any danger of flooding out like that as we were very high but we did have standing water all around us which made for a very messy and soggy Coach. Of course it was still in the mid 70's so once the rain stopped it got very humid very quick. We were more that happy to leave Monday morning.

Got here to Branson on Monday and got everything washed and dried out. We have been to a couple of shows and been enjoying our time here but are now ready to move on again. We will be leaving in the morning and heading to Topeka, KS. We are making our way to Glendoe, WY to meet up with some friends and fish. Don needs to get his fix in before we need to head home.

Thanks to those who text and emailed to check on us when we were in the rain storm. Sorry it has taken so long to do the blog and show you the pictures. It was a crazy time but then that is what makes the memories right? Miss you all! 😊K

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb