USA and Canada 2015 Part 3: The Mississippi - New Orleans to Memphis on the American Queen


Advertisement
Published: July 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

New Orleans - Oak Alley - St Francisville - Natchez - Vicksburg - Helena - Memphis

Stage 3

"The Mississippi"; Louisiana. "The Mississippi"; Louisiana. "The Mississippi"; Louisiana.

New Orleans to Oak Alley
“The Mighty Mississippi” we paddled off late afternoon and after the usual safety spiel we went out on deck to view the passing scenery of barges, other river traffic and sunset as we wound our way upstream.

Oak Alley Plantation: our first sunrise on the Mississippi was lovely and when morning came we were greeted with a sight of the most beautiful avenue of age old oak trees enticing one to walk from the river to the mansion which was built in 1839 when sugar in the river region was flourishing.

St. Francisville: with the American Queen hop on/off bus stopping at various places it was very easy to see this small interesting little town and very pleasant to walk along the streets. I visited several places then the Grace Episcopal Church which happened to be closed for renovation, so I walked through the cemetery.

Natchez: this city boasts some beautiful Antebellum (Greek revival architecture) mansions built before the American Civil War. Rosalie Mansion – wonderful; Magnolia Hall – beautiful; Stanton Hall – stunning: they are so different and so worth visiting. Views of the river from Bluff Park lovely and sorry not to be there for a
"The Mississippi"; Louisiana. "The Mississippi"; Louisiana. "The Mississippi"; Louisiana.

New Orleans to Oak Alley
sunset.

Vicksburg: a city with a lot of old buildings and some in disrepair though there is one beautiful home “Anchuca” which we viewed and where some people are fortunate enough to stay. Much history here and museums – we visited the Lower Mississippi River museum; the Biedenham Coca-Cola museum; Antique Doll & Toy museum and the Old Depot museum.

Helena: as you drive into this lovely city there is Freedom Park “the first site in Arkansas to be designated a Network to Freedom site by the National Park Service”. Ref: Helena A&P Commission.

We visited Fort Curtis where a small cannon was being fired and made a BIG noise and where rifle fire was being demonstrated. A step into Moore-Hornor House undergoing restoration and then into a lovely Victorian home “”Pillow Thompson House”.

Memphis: arriving on a wet morning and docking at Mud Island we disembarked and went on an excursion to Graceland – home of Elvis.


Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

"The Mississippi"; Louisiana. "The Mississippi"; Louisiana.
"The Mississippi"; Louisiana.

New Orleans to Oak Alley
"The Mississippi"; Louisiana. "The Mississippi"; Louisiana.
"The Mississippi"; Louisiana.

New Orleans to Oak Alley
"The Mississippi"; Louisiana. "The Mississippi"; Louisiana.
"The Mississippi"; Louisiana.

New Orleans to Oak Alley
"The Mississippi"; Louisiana. "The Mississippi"; Louisiana.
"The Mississippi"; Louisiana.

New Orleans to Oak Alley
"The Mississippi"; Louisiana; Oak Alley"The Mississippi"; Louisiana; Oak Alley
"The Mississippi"; Louisiana; Oak Alley

Sunrise on the Mississippi
"The Mississippi"; Louisiana"The Mississippi"; Louisiana
"The Mississippi"; Louisiana

One of the many barges we saw on the river


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb