Vicksburg Day 4 May 15,2011


Advertisement
Published: May 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Mississippi River at VicksburgMississippi River at VicksburgMississippi River at Vicksburg

The river has went from about 3 feet below the top of the levee on Friday to about a foot below the top of the levee on Sunday
May 15, 2011 Sunday
Morning entry:
Went ahead and paid for another day at the Motel 6 here in Vicksburg. It is so quiet and that is the main thing I look for in a hotel. And of course a good internet connection. I have pretty much seen all I wanted to see in Vicksburg so will probably catch up on my blogs and sort out a few things in my various bags, and do some more reading.
Seems like all the clothes I want to wear are out in my truck. I'm trying to avoid hauling everything in as I will just have to haul them back out again tomorrow. I guess tomorrow I will head East towards Jackson. It has been a really enjoyable 4 day stay here. Vicksburg is an interesting city without a lot of traffic of large distances to cover. And the motels are inexpensive.
I've been up since 7 working on my travel blogs, emails, tripadvisor entry, and drinking my tea and thinking things over. I guess it's time to have my banana and 3 slices of bread for breakfast and get dressed. It looks like it will be another cool clear day.
Evening entry:
I Drove down Clay road into town and took another look at the murals. They are still OK but I have doubts about later this week when the flood surge gets here. I went by the Riverwalk casino again to see how much the river has went up. It was about 3 feet below the parking lot Friday but is now only about 1 foot and the river is running much faster. So I reckon that Casino will be a goner when the surge arrives.
Went by SuperWalmart on 61 South. On the highway they had a sign saying the road was closed 14 miles south. So I guess if anyone wants to leave town they have to go East or West.
Tomorrow I am heading East to Jackson on I-20 then up the Natchez Trace to Jeff Busby Campground. About a 150 mile drive. It is supposed to be cool tomorrow thank God.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Much too close for comfortMuch too close for comfort
Much too close for comfort

This is the river at the Casino
The forlorne hopeThe forlorne hope
The forlorne hope

Sand filled containers to try and protect the casino from the coming flood
She's a goner !She's a goner !
She's a goner !

I believe this casino is a goner once the river rises another couple of feet. Looking at the fast flowing and huge river you can see the unimaginable power and force of the water when it comes over the bank.


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb