Following the Blue Blaze, Day 8


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Minnesota
October 1st 2015
Published: October 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Andy is apparently truly off the grid today so there's some guesswork in his progress. It's likely he reached the Temperance River, which means he did some fairly serious rock climbing to get past Carlton Peak. The SHT guidebook mentions that there are lots of wooden walkways over muddy spots in this area. After last week's rain, the hikers are probably thanking their lucky boots for the volunteers who built them as well as the many bridges along the way. The Temperance River, down in its deep canyon, must be quite the sight (and sound). There won't be much traffic noise on this stretch. It's easy to imagine Andy reveling in a perfect fall day. There's nothing like a cool, sunny, colorful day in the woods to help you forget about your aching feet.

As promised, here are some photos from the past weekend's shenanigans, some of which come to us by way of Kurt, who's always ready with the camera at the right time. I wonder who gets bragging rights for the fish. Erik is clearly the fire master, providing some great "Cowboy TV" (a new term learned from friend Eric G.). Andy got to put down his pack for a few days, but he traded it for a canoe!

Andy has two full days of hiking ahead of him before another break. He'll have the fun memories of the Daniels Lake weekend and the anticipation of a night or two in a real bed to sustain him. He's got eight days' worth of SHT dust on his boots now. His old life at the MIC in the bustling metropolis of Duluth must seem long ago and far away.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb