Back home, safe and sound


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Minnesota » St. Paul
October 4th 2009
Published: October 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Cairo 53 secs
2: Cairo- what it really means to walk like an egyptian 52 secs
Hello all,

After a very long day (and night) of flying, I am back home, and in one piece. Although, getting through US passport control proved once again to be the most difficult part of the trip. That Syrian Visa gets them every time, and this particular agent made me state again and again that my travels to 'that part of the world' (meaning, I presume, the Middle East) had nothing to do with my work (as if they know what I do...). In the end, they let me through, although I think it was largely due to the fact that I could clear up a little mystery for them. For, my Immigration Agent also asked me several times if I had any agricultural products that I was bringing back (me, who can't keep a potted plant alive), and asked especially about camel's milk, telling me that they 'see that all the time'. I said that I believed that, but that I would imagine most of the people trying to sneak in camel's milk were men. The agent, who apparently has not traveled much himself, asked why I would think that. When I explained to him that camel's milk is the Viagra of the Middle East, he got a little flustered and waved me through. Thankfully, he stamped an already used page in my passport, meaning that I have enough pages left for at least one more trip before 2011. Laos and Cambodia, here I come!

I shot this video my last night in Cairo, to give everyone a sense of what traffic is really like. Keep in mind that this was a Friday night, and therefore a holiday and a slow traffic time. The people you see dodging cars to get across the street aren't jaywalking- there is no such thing as a legal crossing point in Egypt. You just have to take your chances.

It was great to be back in Holland and hear (and speak) Dutch again, although I think it is an act of cruelty to put the only Starbucks in the airport after customs and passport control. Who does these things?

Thanks to everyone who sent messages and followed my blog. It was a great trip.

Pax, and see you soon!



Advertisement



5th October 2009

Jennifer, In looking at the traffic, I couldn't help but think that the horse in the video had to have nerves of steel! Glad you are back with so many great stories. If you do travel to Cambodia, I think you will find it very beautiful. I have a cousin (21!) who traveled there and it was her favorite place. She is now in South Korea on a Fulbright Scholarship and she hopes to return to Cambodia before returning to the U.S. next year.

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb