Home Again!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Minnesota » Nisswa
March 27th 2011
Published: March 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We're home! Feels kind of strange, like we are half here and half there. The suitcases are empty, one of the last loads of clothes is in the washing machine, and the huge pile of mail has been sorted through. We've been to the grocery store and had to cook and cleanup after our meals for the first time in months. My tan hands are getting rough! But it is good to be home.
Hugh's good friend from his early days with the railroad, Jim White, met us in Southampton and drove us up to their home in Cold Ash, a village in Berkshire, west of London. There we had a tasty lunch prepared by his wife, Isobel, waiting for us. It was a warm, sunny day -- the daffodils were all out! -- so the four of us went for a walk around the village. I love being out in the countryside in England, in parts that tourists never see. It's like being in Nisswa, where the folks in the local shops know your name and are happy to see you. At our request, we had a "fish supper" (fish & chips) for dinner that night after some memorable gin and tonics and great conversation. Then it was off to Heathrow in the morning, about an hour's drive. Thanks again, Jim & Isobel, for a lovely time.
Our flight back to the Twin Cities was uneventful except that the plane was only about a third full, so the crew was in a good mood and there was no queue for the toilets. Hugh got through Immigration with his new green card without any problem. He was happy to be in the line for US Residents instead of Visitors for the first time. My brother-in-law, Mike, happened to be on the same flight from MSP to Brainerd, so both of my sisters were at the airport to meet us, which was great since we needed help hauling all our suitcases out to the car. Sally drove us home and helped us drag our stuff through the foot of snow in front of the house. (The driveway had been plowed -- thank you, Tom -- but the bit in front of the house is always our problem.) And we were home! The house was in great shape, the heat was on and the pump started right up, so we were able to collapse into bed before 10:00 PM -- 3:00 AM, British time.
So, now it is back to reality. Literally, the honeymoon is over! Taxes are our number one priority this week, then we will sit down figure out what we are going to do with the rest of our lives!
Thanks for following us on our trip. It certainly was wonderful and all we could have hoped for.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb