Mexico 2017


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Minnesota » Minnetonka
January 31st 2017
Published: February 3rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

This morning we left the warm weather in Zihuatanejo and headed back to the snow and cold of Minnesota. The trip went smoothly, no problems. We had a great trip, but it is always good to be home.

Bob



The highlight of this trip was to see the butterflies.

Things went well but there are some things I would do differently. All of the information sources said the butterflies would be active in late January. We found that most of the butterflies were dormant so I would go a month later.

It was difficult finding information on buses to Angangueo from Morelia. We found the bus to Zitacuaro and we knew we would need a different bus line but couldn't get information on these buses in Morelia. We went to Zitacuaro and found a lot of buses to Angangueo.

It is cold at night in the mountains (even in Morelia). It gets down to a few degrees above freezing and you will probably be staying in an unheated drafty hotel room. I bring warmup pants, a sweatshirt and warm socks to sleep in.

We spent about 20 hours on buses over 5 days. If I were to visit the butterflies from Zihuatanejo again I would include them as an extension to a trip to visit Uruapan, Patzcuero and Morelia.

There are lots of Monarch butterflies (one source said over a billion) so they are not endangered. In Minnesota people are growing milkweed (it is a weed hence the name). I don't think they would be nearly as popular if they were not so colotful or fed on plants grown by farmers.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb