Sampler week - kids arrive


Advertisement
Published: June 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The first set of kids arrived today! They call it a sampler week as the kids are only here until Wednesday and a traditional camp goes to Friday. Each counsellor gets paired up with another counsellor and we sleep in the same cabins as the kids. I got paired up with Hannah and Ellyn and we were with 7 girls aged between 8-11. We were put in a cabin called Blackfoot (number 13) and is apparently haunted but we didn't seen anything. The girls were mostly well behaved. We woke up every morning at 6.15 to get ourselves ready and then wake the kids at 6.30 so they can get ready. We then went for a run and jumped in the lake each morning before breakfast which is served at 8am. I ran and jumped in the lake with the girls the first morning but not the other two days because I got sick from one of the girls in my cabin. After breakfast we go back to the cabin and tidy it up before our first achievement at 10. My two achievements this week were outdoor cooking and yipahudi which is the camp newspaper. Outdoor was awesome! We roasted marshmallows, made banana boats and Chaco tacos during the week. All the outdoor cooking desserts include chocolate chips and marshmallows and are always yummy but so so unhealthy. Our first day was raining so we had to do outdoor cooking inside the lodge which has a fire place. Overall it was a great first week and I got to see how it would typically run. Next week I'm getting paired up with Kara who lives in mound and is also 22. Most of the other counsellors are aged between 18-20 so it will be nice being with someone closer in age!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb