We're off to the Guggenham err Porkopolis err ... SPAM Museum


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Minnesota » Austin
September 23rd 2012
Published: October 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Everytime we go to Hawaii, Peter eats SPAM®. Apparently, it's a Hawaiian Staple. You can even order it at Burger King and McDonalds. They love it there. It's in "local" food - Peter eats it for breakfast in something called musubi...which is kinda like sushi, but with SPAM instead of raw fish... I haven't tried it... My imagination doesn't allow it...

When Rich comes with us to Hawaii, he eats SPAM too (not sure what his habits are when he's not with us.)

SO, I thought it'd be REALLY funny to take them to the SPAM Museum, in Austin MN. (http://www.spam.com/spam-101/the-spam-museum, http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2126)

We all knew except Rich, and that was half the fun! He didn't see any of the billboards (which was shocking, but we know he didn't, because there's no way he could've seen them and not made a sassy comment of some sort.)

Well! the joke was on me! The whole place was completely fascinating!

It was educational, historical, and fun! There's a hall of history, a theater, a diner, a children's educational center, a grocery section and a gift shop... and probably even more to offer!

Hormel Foods produces SPAM, and the company was started in 1891 by George A. Hormel. George was so respected by the community that, years later, when one of his employees embezzled over $1,000,000 (and this is back when that was a lot of money!), the bank quickly loaned him the missing money, to keep his business afloat. (I read that it was $1.5million, but I can't remember if that's what the sign at the Museum said...)

I had NO IDEA that SPAMwas so important in history. Did you know that more than 100 million pounds of SPAM was sent overseas to feed allied troops during WWI, between 1941 and 1945?

Also: Did you know that they sponsored a Nascar car?

And that Doc (from The Love Boat) (That is Doc, right?)

and Brett Favre (mostly of Green Bay Packers fame) have advertised for them?

I really thought we'd be there 10 minutes and leave, but we were there a long time! I'd definitely recommend going!

In the Gift Shop, they have all kinds of fun things - I think we all got SPAM shirts (mine is tie-dyed), one of the kids got a SPAM piggy (stuffed animal) which literally saved his hands and knees at least twice, when he tripped and fell and landed on it (I'm sorry - it gave me giggles - you know, after I was certain he was ok)...we got bandages that look like SPAM (all bandages kind of do), a SPAM fishing lure... I can't remember everything - but they have so much! games, dishes, toys, dog accessories, and, of course SPAM and SPAM Cookbooks!

GO! such an unexpected surprise!!
See you Wednesay!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb