Biking the Leelanau Trail in Traverse City


Advertisement
Published: June 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Additional maps: Leelanau Trail




BIKING ON THE LEELANAU TRAIL IN TRAVERSE CITY MICHIGAN







Text and Photos last updated: 2017

Number of times on this trail: 4

Location: NW of Traverse City Michigan

Distance markers: yes



Distance: 17 miles (27.5 km)



Bathroom: yes

Surface: asphalt

Width: 10 feet

Grade: Flat

Condition of trail: good

Benches: Yes

Garbage bins: yes



The Leelanau Trail runs mostly through Leelanau County NW of Traverse City. The actual starting point is near Clinch Park in Traverse City at 137 East Grandview Parkway (GPS: N 44.766177 E 85.624170.

Another Staging area is a few km north at 10440 East Cherry Bend Road (GPS: 44.793451 E 85.645450. Parking here is somewhat limited.

This trail is 17 miles (27.5 km) OR 15 miles (24 km) from the East Cherry Bend Road staging area.

In the north at Sutton’s Bay, Marina Park is another staging area

The southern half of the trail passes through a hardwood forested area with lots of shade and scenic farms and farmland.

As you get near the village of Bingham the trail begins to rise in elevation (very gradual) as it passes through cherry orchards. For the best spectacle of cherry blossoms, visit during the month of May. Grapes are also grown in this area.

Also in the south you cross over a few fast moving streams (at least when there is water!)

There are 3 porta potties and maybe we were lucky, but these were the cleanest and most completely odour free outhouses that we have ever been in!!

There are also a couple of wells that you can pump water from. Don’t know if this is just a summer thing or not, but on the route we came across two large insulated coolers with “drinking water” marked on them. We filled our bottles with ice cold water and on a hot humid day it was really refreshing.

There are a number of benches and a picnic table along the trail.

Just North of the East Cherry Bend staging ara is the De Young Natural Area, on Cedar Lake

We really enjoyed our ride on this trail and would recommend it to experienced and unexperienced cyclists.



MORE PHOTOS BELOW….


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb