Day on the Lake


Advertisement
Published: July 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Day on the Lake



I got up early after a wonderful sleep in the quiet campground, packed up and headed out by 8:30 so I could be on time for my light house cruise in Lake Huron. I got to the campground in Mackinaw City by 11:15, took Oscar for a long walk, set up camp and was ready to head to the docks by 12:45.

Mackinaw City is a bustling little town especially in tourist season when everybody wants a ride to Mackinaw Island. I'll see that tomorrow. Today it was find a place to park and get to the boat by 1:30. It's a hurry up and wait life in the visiting business so I hurried and waited. The scenery was beautiful so it wasn't a hardship. I took some pictures of the Mackinaw Bridge that is a pretty spectacular sight stretching across the Straits of Mackinaw connecting Lake Huron with Lake Michigan. I'll cross that bridge on Monday, hope it's not windy.

We boarded the boat by number and I just made it to the top deck before there was no more room. How can you sit inside when there is this beautiful air and sun to enjoy. The temp on land was 82, out on the water it was much cooler but delightful.

We had a fellow on board that was an avid light house enthusiast and he narrated the entire trip, all 3 hours of it.

Did you know that there are more light houses in Michigan than any other state in the union? There are a lot of obstacles to shipping in the Great Lakes.

Most of the lighthouses are attached to land but a few are crib lighthouses, meaning they are on wooden cribs that are sunk underwater and anchored to permanent foundations. The wood doesn't rot because it is not exposed to air. All of the lighthouses are now automated, but a few still have caretakers, wonder how you apply for that job. Fun now but not in the winter.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb