June 13 Kay Wood Lean-to, MA to Dalton, MA 3 miles


Advertisement
Published: June 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A long, quiet restful night. Sun pouring into the front of the shelter woke us around 6AM. Oatmeal and coffee then pack up. One of the shelter caretakers had walked up to bring toilet paper to the privy, nice not to have to use your own. We headed for town shortly after he arrived.

Walking down the trail some 30 minutes later I spotted a couple of mink romping across the forest floor headed our way. They saw me not long after and shot up a tree. I called them to CC's attention and she suggested I try and video the crew. The pair had grown to half a dozen. They frolicked through the forest from tree to tree without a care. I did get some video and not sure how well they will show up. Chris, my son, says our videos are on "Youtube" now. Just search "OD & CC Appalachian Trail" and our stuff should show up.

We made town by 9:15, got all our resupply stuff at the Post Office. Then next door to a gas station for directions to Rob's place. One quick call by the attendant and we were headed for a break. CC had spied a hair place next to the P.O. and had enquired about some work she wanted done. An appointment was made and she was hot to get back and get the work done. We found Rob's, CC dropped her pack, changed shoes then headed for the salon. I was shown the shower facilities and returned to more human like conditions.

Soon enough CC was back and more beautiful than ever. She too visited the shower then took on our laundry task. Before early afternoon both of us looked and smelled much better. Rob took us to a diner where we had supper with him and the four other hikers who are at his house. We had this HUGE 12 egg , 10 item omelet for supper, CC 1/3 me 2/3s of the thing. No complaining about not enough food at this meal! Tomorrow (really today) will be a zero day. Tonight the rain came down in buckets. Another fine night to have a real roof over our heads.

Patrick, Deborah Mooney aka OD & CC
All Who Wander Are Not Lost

For Photos and Video: http://odandccslongwalk.shutterfly.com/

OD and CC have been marking their path with a GPS using SPOT Satellite Messenger and can be tracked at the following link. It keeps track of their last 7 days: http://tinyurl.com/o2g53z

Advertisement



Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb