"South for the Winter" : Hingham, MA to Cuttyhunk,MA


Advertisement
Published: November 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Hingham, MA to Cuttyhunk, MA


North America => United-States => Massachusetts => "Cutty Hunk Pond"

Fri. Oct 26th. Hewitts Cove in Hingham,MA to Cutty Hunk Pond, MA.


Vitto did the final provisioning and we got underway at 0835. Our destination was Cuttyhunk, RI. Winds were out of the east at 10 to 15 kts and the seas were 2 to 3 ft. which made for a bumpy ride. At 0928 we left the Boston’s Lt on our port side heading 240ºM.
At 1035 we went by Minot Lt which was very impressive. All black very pretty. And then we entered Cape Cod Bay. This area has a lot of fish traps. The autopilot decided to take a rest and we hand steered through the many fish traps. We ended up taking 1 hour watches at the helm. We entered Cape Cod Canal at 1500 with a heading of 210º M. The current was with us at 3 kts. We made speeds up to 10 kts.
At 1515 we went under the Sagamore Bridge which holds a lot of history itself.
It was nearly sunset and we weren’t there yet. The waters were shallow around us and we had to be very careful Maria had her eyes on the GPS and Vitto concentrated on the course. The entrance to the protected area that we wanted to go to, was marked by only one red flashing mark. We got in at dark and found that the mooring balls were gone and replaced with “winter sticks””. We ended up anchoring for the night amidst 46 “winter sticks”. No easy feat……..
Vitto made supper and Ximena retired to watch a movie. Tomorrow was going to be another day.
We traveled 72.9 nm in eleven and a half hours and our position was 41º25’30.7” N 070º55’35.5” W

More Pics


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.396s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 23; qc: 134; dbt: 0.1677s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb