New Bedford, MA and Newport, RI


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Framingham
September 27th 2013
Published: September 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

New Bedford, MA, is the whaling capital of the world. When we began planning this trip, New Bedford was on Joe's list of places he wanted to see. We were the first ones into the NPS visitor center this morning to get maps and information and then walked around the old town admiring the granite stone roads, the architecture of the old buildings, and the whaling influenced shops. The Whaling Museum is a first class operation. We spent over two hours there learning about the whaling industry through the ages. The docents were all intelligent and well-spoken people that were excited about whales. We had lobster bisque and clam chowder at the Waterfront Cafe and then went to the harbor to view the Ernestina, a schooner launched in 1894.

So it's now 49 down and one to go. I knocked off Rhode Island and Connecticut this afternoon. We chose Newport to represent Rhode Island and now I have another place that I want to revisit. We walked the "Cliff Walk" and saw mansion after mansion and visited, The Breakers, the summer home of Cornelius Vanderbilt II. Info said it had 65,000 square feet and 70 rooms.

My relationship with
New Bedford, MANew Bedford, MANew Bedford, MA

We went into the lobby of a law office, that used to be a candleworks place. Loved the original fireplace, walls and rafters.
Connecticut consisted of an hour's drive on back roads and another hour drive up the interstate. But, I did ask Joe to stop the car so I could at least put my feet on the ground. We stopped in the lovely town of Putnam, CT. So, while I now know nothing more about Connecticut than I did before today, I can say that I've been in the state.

We are in Framingham, MA, situating ourselves for a run into Boston to see as much as we can in one day there. Neither of us has been there so it will all be new to us. We have been told that since tomorrow is Saturday that the drive in should be easier than week days and that parking shouldn't be a problem. We hope all that is true.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

New Bedford, MANew Bedford, MA
New Bedford, MA

The Bethel (chapel) and mariners' house. The chapel was made famous in "Moby Dick."
New Bedford, MANew Bedford, MA
New Bedford, MA

Inside the chapel, with the pulpit resembling a boat. It wasn't originally this way, but Melville described it this way in "Moby Dick" so they added it to please tourists that were looking for it.
New Bedford, MANew Bedford, MA
New Bedford, MA

The chapel's walls are lined with framed memorials to those lost at sea.
New Bedford, MANew Bedford, MA
New Bedford, MA

The Whaling Museum
New Bedford, MANew Bedford, MA
New Bedford, MA

View from the top floor of the Whaling Museum
New Bedford, MANew Bedford, MA
New Bedford, MA

The Whaling Museum contains a half scale replica of a whaling ship.
New Bedford, MANew Bedford, MA
New Bedford, MA

The Ernestina.
Newport, RINewport, RI
Newport, RI

The Breakers, summer home of Cornelius Vanderbilt II.
Newport, RINewport, RI
Newport, RI

The Breakers, summer home of Cornelius Vanderbilt, II.
Newport, RINewport, RI
Newport, RI

Cliff Walk along the mansions.
Putnam, CTPutnam, CT
Putnam, CT

The only photo of CT. I'm standing in front of the library which was next to a Rite Aid store where we got some food.
The Car Passenger SeatThe Car Passenger Seat
The Car Passenger Seat

This is what my lap looks like while we're driving...map, GPS, water bottle.


28th September 2013

More lobster?
I'm not sure you found enough lobster to eat on this trip. Maybe we'll have to find some in Prescott when you get home! Miss you guys but I'm sure enjoying traveling with you!
28th September 2013

New Bedford
WHAT?????? NO WHALE CHOWDER!!!!!! OR WHALE ROLLS!!!!! There is a great art museum in an old mansion that you could visit.....Isabella Gardner Museum near the Boston Fine Arts Museum if you have time and we think you would enjoy it. The history stuff in Boston is fantastic and you can do a walking tour that you can pick up at various places. We've been there a couple of times and there are also great pubs! Have fun! Love the trip. J&D
28th September 2013

Boston
Thanks for the Boston suggestions. It will be interesting to see how our feet hold out, it's going to be a lot of walking.
28th September 2013

So you will have them all after this trip (states)?
I liked Newport. Seemed like a comfy town. Looks like you are getting some nice fall color now. Whaling museum we missed, but saw one some place that I cannot even recall. That is awful. We have been so many places and seen so much when you get to be eighty sometimes it "all runs together". Sad. Oh, well, still alive and kicking.
28th September 2013

Memory
That's why I keep this blog, so I can remember where we've been and the things we done.
28th September 2013

New Bedford and Barrow Alaska
When in Alaska, we were hosted in New Bedford by the whaling history folks. There is an NPS legislative connection between the two places. New Bedford was a stop on the underground railroad for fugitive slaves. An easy escape was to sign on a whaling ship for a two year trip around the horn and ending in the high arctic--sometimes icebound for the winter. A number of the fugitives stayed and married eskimos. Interesting huh!!
28th September 2013

New Bedford
We learned all this yesterday and thought it all so interesting. I thought it was good that the museum covered whaling in the Inuit culture along with everything else. There were some Alaska artifacts in that place that were exquisite.
28th September 2013
New Bedford, MA

Right
You got it! MA (I'm being bad).
28th September 2013
New Bedford, MA

???
I must be stupid, what am I missing here? You're being bad about what? Did I write an incorrect state abbreviation somewhere?

Tot: 0.673s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 12; qc: 65; dbt: 0.5268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb