Boston


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
September 28th 2013
Published: September 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

In front of Old North ChurchIn front of Old North ChurchIn front of Old North Church

Famous from "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere."
September 28, 2013

We had an easy 21 minutes driving into Boston from Framingham early this morning and no problem at all finding a place in the underground parking at Boston Common. It wouldn't have been this fast and easy if it hadn't been a weekend and the parking would have been $40 instead of $12. We are a couple of tired puppies tonight, I think we walked at least 8 miles today.

We got an early start to this bluebird sky day...we walked around Boston Common, toured the public gardens, walked through the Faneuil Market and Quincy Market, walked the entire Freedom Trail and saw every sight and read almost every interpretive sign on it, walked over the Charlestown Bridge, climbed the 294 steps to the top of the Bunker Hill Monument, boarded the U.S.S. Constitution, and talked to people at the NPS visitor center all before 1 PM.

No lobster for us today, we decided to go with the 18th century theme and ordered shepherd's pie (delicious), a big salad, and Samuel Adams October Harvest beer at the Warren Tavern. Warren Tavern, in Charlestown, is the oldest tavern in Massachusetts and Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, and Paul Revere used to frequent the place. Great way to celebrate our completion of the Freedom Trail.

We took the Boston Harbor ferry back to Boston and spent an hour enjoying all the happenings on Long Wharf and in Christopher Columbus Park. There were a lot of people having fun on this beautiful warm sunny day. The harbor area is exciting place to be.

Last item on the agenda of the day was a walk to the Beacon Hill neighborhood to see the architecture of the lovely old homes. If I hadn't been so tired I would have walked every street of this area, the homes were just beautiful and the people were very friendly.

Our photos today probably won't be very interesting to anyone but us. There are a lot of building photos. We are both so grateful that Bostonian's beginning in the 1800's began saving these colonial and Revolutionary era buildings. It's quite a thrill to look at these places and imagine what went on behind the walls.


Additional photos below
Photos: 67, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Park Street Church, 1809Park Street Church, 1809
Park Street Church, 1809

Hymn "America" first sung here.
Japanese Students EverywhereJapanese Students Everywhere
Japanese Students Everywhere

We saw hundreds of these well-dressed students everywhere for the first hour, then they all suddenly disappeared.
Granary Burying GroundGranary Burying Ground
Granary Burying Ground

Buried here among others: John Hancock, Paul Revere, Samuel Adams, victims of the Boston Massacre
King's Chapel, 1749King's Chapel, 1749
King's Chapel, 1749

Most members were Loyalists that fled to Nova Scotia and England. Beautiful building.
King's Chapel Burying GroundKing's Chapel Burying Ground
King's Chapel Burying Ground

John Winthrop's, colony's first governor, grave.
Benjamin Franklin Benjamin Franklin
Benjamin Franklin

Site of first public school in America.
Monument to Victims of Irish FamineMonument to Victims of Irish Famine
Monument to Victims of Irish Famine

Not part of the Freedom Trail
Old Corner Bookstore, 1718Old Corner Bookstore, 1718
Old Corner Bookstore, 1718

Longfellow, Emerson, Hawthorne, Stowe, Holmes, Alcott brought manuscripts here to be published. Chipotle's today.
Old South Meeting House, 1729Old South Meeting House, 1729
Old South Meeting House, 1729

Lots of history here: Meetings protesting the tax on tea, challenging British rule, etc. Too bad it was being worked on today.


29th September 2013
Green Dragon Tavern, 1773

Which Tea Party?
I'm sure you mean the Boston Tea Party that took place in Boston Harbor and not the Tea Party that is going to shut down the Federal Government in a couple of days . . .
29th September 2013
Green Dragon Tavern, 1773

Tea Party
Ha, ha! Maybe both Tea Parties were planned here for all I know!
29th September 2013
Fake Cheers Bar

Personality
The guy on the left is about as "Boston" as you can get.
29th September 2013
Beacon Hill Doorways

Doors
I love doors too. Just like paths which want to make you wonder what is beyond, what is behind the doors . . .
29th September 2013

Loved every bit!!
When we were there (probably 20 odd years) we took printed pictures which are stacked in a box somewhere. It was snowing and as we walked it got heavier and heavier and windy so we could not continue the whole walk we had planned. It was a conference and I had not come equipped with long underwear, scarves, gloves, etc. So, I enjoyed it more than you might imagine. We did stay in a hotel where we were close enough to get out parts of three days. What a great trip and what a great time to take it. Thanks.
3rd October 2013

connection
Hi Joe and Judy! Was excited to see the Park Street Church. Many of our ministers at the Colonial Church of Edina, MN,our former church, have served at Park Street Church.So much important history in Boston - I love the buildings! Thank you for chronicling your journey for us.

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0698s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb