Packing It Up


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Cape Cod
August 13th 2010
Published: August 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We have a 3000+ mile journey/adventure awaiting us. We are driving from New England to the southern point of the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. Bill and I have been looking forward to this for a long time. We knew what we wanted years ago and have worked toward it and focused on it. Our van has been given the green light to drive that distance and pull our 12' trailer.
Now, the focus is on packing...and packing...and packing. It's difficult to know what to pack now and what can wait till the last minute. I'm already missing my wine keys....they're packed. Damn. That only leaves me vodka to drink.
For two people who have been downsizing and simplifying their lives for years, it's amazing how much stuff we still have.

Now, before any of you freak out with the thought of us driving thru Mexico, please note a few things. Stuff happens everywhere. Don't condemn an entire country because of a few bad places. We are not guaranteed to be any safer driving in the U.S. than in Mexico. If we drive the toll roads in Mexico, they are just as easy as in the U.S. If we drive the
Our CasaOur CasaOur Casa

Pedazo de Cielo - Piece of Heaven
secondary or "free" roads, we will have an adventure. I'm sure we'll be doing a little of both.
We are no more likely to encounter a drug war shoot out than we are to be in the middle of a gang war here in the U.S. Both happen, but you just use your common sense and avoid certain places. The chances of us being mugged, assaulted or kidnapped are slim to none. We are more likely to be mugged in any city in the U.S. The press just loves to report nothing but horrible news about our neighbor to the south.
In all the years we have travelled in Mexico, neither Bill nor I have had any reservations or hesitations. Common sense rules.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Lobo and SebastianLobo and Sebastian
Lobo and Sebastian

Our travelling buddies


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb