Coast to Coast


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
September 25th 2006
Published: October 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Toronto to Boston


Day 78.....

Leaving Niagara Falls behind, we spent the next few days driving through the Adirondack Mountains of New York State and through Massachusetts. Our drive took us through some beautiful towns filled with traditional white wooden houses & churches. The leaves on the trees are turning to veracious hues of yellows, oranges and reds as the 'Fall' is setting in, which made the landscape look even more captivating.

A brief detour through Rhode Island allowed us a view of how the 'other half' lives. We looked on in envy at the Mansions in Newport (more like castles!), before leaving for Cape Cod on the east coast. 'The Cape' (which looks like a strongman's arm if you look on the map!) is beautiful. We drove along the coast towards Provincetown, where we took a walk around a lake laden with lillies. Martin was even treated to another sighting of a snake! Eeek! Then we went to Race Point Beach for a little sunbathing and seal spotting, before taking the opportunity at low tide to walk out to the lighthouse for the sunset. This was also a significant point in our journey. Having left the Pacific 6 weeks ago, dipping our toes in the Atlantic meant that we had finally crossed the continent of North America.

With summer becomming a distant memory, we drove to Boston in the pouring rain. We were greeted at our hotel with hot, fresh baked oatmeal cookies - always a winner! Taking to the streets, we strolled along the Freedom Trail, which is a route around the city via Boston's historical sights, as well as some detours to popular hotspots such as the Cheers bar. Later, we took a water taxi around Boston Harbour for a better view of the city skyline, which was definitely worth the risk of sea-sickness on the stormy water!

After our stint in Boston, we drove north to Salem (home of the famous witch trials of 1692), to hunt out a witch! The spooky stuff (as well as the serious, historical side - naturally!) was fun for the afternoon, however the town itself is in desperate need of a spell to liven it up a bit!

Tomorrow we are heading into the mountains of Vermont to hike off those cookies!

Hope everyone is well! xxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 60; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb