New England


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine
October 1st 2006
Published: October 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

New England


Day 85.....

The Green Mountains of Vermont and the White Mountains of New Hampshire came and went as we travelled through with only a few stops along the way. We did, however, make some time to hike part of the Appalachian trail. It is one of the most famous & demanding trails in the world, measuring 2,174 miles and passing through 14 states from Maine to Georgia. Maybe we'll finish it next time!

One day while we were driving through Vermont, we could not resist the opportunity to visit the one and only, Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory! We tasted the 2006 Limited Edition Apple Pie flavour, which was delicious! As luck would have it, a little further along the road we also found a cheese factory. We thought it was only fair to stop there too, sampling the many different flavours of cheese on offer (the Horseradish was certainly interesting) and cheesy popcorn! To wash down the cheese, we went to a Cider Mill and sampled fresh pressed cider and ate cider apple dounuts! Yum!

As we travelled through New Hampshire and into Maine, the rain started to come down pretty hard. As luck would have it, we just happened to be passing a retail outlet village! Not being the sort to miss a bargain, we took the chance to do a spot of tax-free shopping!!

Back on to the east coast in Maine, we found ourselves in a friendly little town called Bar Harbour. We spent lots of time trailing around Acadia National Park and its surounding beaches. As Maine is famous for its cold water catches, Angela treated herself to a lobster supper while Martin stuck safely to something more of the meat variety!

Whilst not as striking as the Rockies, the Eastern USA has quaint beauty about it, filled with pretty towns and covered bridges. The trees on the roadsides and in the hills are getting more autumnal every day as the leaves are changing colour. It feels very festive here, as lots of poeple have decorated their houses with 'leaf people' (like scarecrows) and super-size pumpkins to celebrate the Fall. There are lots of Halloween decorations starting to appear too!

Today is our final day in America, as we conitnue north across the border into Eastern Canada.

Until next time...xxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



11th October 2006

Home Coming!
Hi guys, Thanks for the continued updates, it's brilliant to read about your adventures and see such wonderful pictures! I hope you are both well and am looking forward to seeing you when you return. Can't be long now! The time has flown by-I'm sure you can't wait to get back to the cold and grey fog that is England!! We can't wait to see you though!! Abi xx
11th October 2006

Homeward Bound
Enjoy your last few days in Canada. England is cold and wet but we are waiting to welcome you home. Have a safe trip back. When will the video be ready??
13th October 2006

Now in the home straight...
Still enjoying the blogs, but haven't spotted my hat Anj - I need photographic evidence that my hat definitely made the trip! Sounds like you're starting to wind down a little, why else wouldn't you have taking up the challenge of walking the 2,174 Appalachian trail. Seriously though, thought I detected a hint of sadness at leaving America from your last blog. Perhaps it is the realisation that you're leaving America en route back to Britain. Keep chin up and enjoy the remainder of your time away. Look forward to seeing you when you get back and seeing all the pics- especially the ones with my hat in them! Ollie
15th October 2006

From Old England
Hi mega travellers. How did the cycle up Cadillac Mountain go? You probably cannot remember as it was so long ago. Marianne says you must keep posting Blogs on your return as I told her about the hectic social scene here in Bexhill. Hoping your trip around the Maritimes went well. Hope too that the return flight is smooth. See you soon.

Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb