Boston


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
October 17th 2011
Published: October 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

These days when the world takes its steps towards the future and you find your ties to the familiar more dispersed than they were back in the high school days, you may find yourself longing to keep the bond going and stretching your arms thin to stay in reach. And since a little autumn season never hurt nobody (and is never felt in Miami), Boston it was. Time for some fresh Fall shades and good vibes with a much missed friend...

After a nice night of dinner and wine we were off the next morning on a train towards Salem to catch some October air. Salem is known for its Halloween Madness during the month of October. It brings in the spirit of magic, ghost tales, and witch craft so the locals as well as tourists can get to know more of the town's history and explore the happenings of "haunted" zones.

The weather was beautiful and the changing of colors welcomed the feel of a true autumn day. The cobblestone streets were filled with trick-or-treaters (mostly under the age of 10 reminding me I am getting old) and their camera-driven parents. There were plenty of events to choose from so we followed the red Heritage trail (which guides you through Salem's history) and encountered the Charter Street Cemetery that dates back to the 1600's making it the oldest cemetery in Salem. Walking through the gravestones felt like a stroll through Universal Studios but it was infact very realistic. The cemetery stands next to the Witch Trials Memorial where women believed of witchcraft were sentenced and killed. Many of the victims were not given gravestones and were buried in unmarked graves near the site of their hanging instead.

To get a little more history of the witch trials, there are plenty of tours offered that even re-enact the trials themselves and give you a more vivid idea of how these witches were persecuted back in the day. One option?...Cry Innocent at Old Town Hall. I sat in amazement as student actors (or young professionals, I wasn't sure) acted out a production about Bridget Bishop who had been accused of witchcraft. We as the audience sat on the jury. The audience listens to the historical testimonies, cross-examines the witnesses, and decides the verdict. In my case, the "jury" consisted of a middle school class on a field trip so their knowledge of Salem's history surpassed mine by far. What to do? Take a back seat as a school chaperone and learn a lil something from these kids.

For more history on haunted houses, take a tour of the haunted mansions or visit a museum like the Salem Witch Museum in Washington Square. If you opt for a more laid back approach, grab a beer and crabcakes at a local bar and venture out to get a physic reading (ha! prepare yourself for some revelations).

A good recommendation after a day of spirits and spirituality is to head back into Boston for a good meal. North End? Italian? Yes and yes. Fabulous pizza, pasta and pastries abound in this zone. Just dont get caught in a tourist trap where South American waiters sing ballads in Spanish and antique accordians are thrust in your face mid-conversation. Go for the small, humble venues where the food is likely to be authentic and the wine list copious.

The North End may be one of my favorite districts for the simple fact that is has history...and good food. The streets are narrow and aligned with cafe's and restaurants depicting ties to true Italian culture.

Another great area in Boston is by the Bay, eight blocks filled with salons, boutiques, cafes and fabulous dining...Newbury Street. Save time for a late breakfast at Trident Books and Cafe before you start your day of browsing and exploring more financial debt. Trident's smoothies are delicious, AND induced with protein powder! More energy for pulling out that wallet. Awesome. Or go the local route of coffee, eggs and toast while you scroll your laptop oblivious to those around you.

Boston was extremely inviting on this particular weekend because the weather chose to rise up into the 80's causing everyone to be out and about, friendly faces displayed. Its amazing what sun can do to one's life. This also caused me to "have" to purchase more items of clothing because a sweater was not cutting it in this heat.

We strolled the streets eventually reaching the Financial District and the "luck o the Irish" side of town. Bars were filled with football fans yet the streets carried all the action as young protestors stomped through the area fighting for their rights as a democracy. Signs against public corruption and corporate dominion all signaled towards their rage at Bank of America.

A little way past the chaos lay Boston Common park which was a perfect dose of green and serenity. Countless people gathered around along the water edge with their picnic baskets and coolers, while couples lay low on blankets equipped with wine and conversation. Even the squirrels were out scavenging. The sun beamed on the bank which added to the peaceful canvas. Further ahead, we walked by teams playing frisbee and wrestling at rugby, while others lay out under the sun to hopefully catch a shade of bronze.

Next it was time to head back towards the grub as the heat had us hungry. Our stomachs somehow led us right towards the Irish pubs and right into a small table across from Union Oyster House. A little Sam Adams Octoberfest and clam chowder had us wanting more. Pub's recommendation? Their infamous lobster roll. No, not a sushi dish. Lobster on a bun basically...with a side of coleslaw and fries. American or Irish Im not sure but leave it up to them to come up with such a thing. It satisfied the hunger needs and tasted pretty damn good so whateva.

The afternoon was settling in and we enjoyed some more beer as we peered out the little windows of the pub. Football had just let the dogs out as mobs of drunk sports fans began to crowd the narrow streets. Smiles and cheering became contagious for a second there.

We walked on over towards Faneuil Hall on our way out and made sure to pass by the local street market that was going on. Fresh fruits, vegetables, shellfish and other seafood were laid out on display for purchase. People rushed in to grab their night's dinner of fresh salmon and asparagus before the stocks ran out. We made sure to grab some too, along with clams that we would be sure to marinate overnight.

Along the sidewalks musicians had set up to jam and street performers competed against eachother's music. We died laughing as we pitied the Peruvian flute players blowing their hearts out to native music on one corner, while right next to them a local break-dancing crew was trying to gather a crowd with their boombox. Obviously the break-dancers took it. They definitely cut some rugs on that street corner. Faneuil Hall was packed with people by this time as it was late afternoon and perfect weather. Time to grab the T and head back towards the Easties...

Reservations were made at Sportello in Boston's Fort Point district. Its a mix of "classic Italian meets modern chic". Wine at this venue was definitely authentic (take that, North End) from all different regions of the country. Sportello also offers its own array of homemade cupcakes and cookies for dessert. Didnt make it far enough to try them but they looked adorable.

The restaurant also features an underground bar which is apparently difficult to get in, so put your name down during dinner if you care to check it out. This operation is carried out "very specifically" where one must await the manager at their dinner table. He proceeds to give you a time frame of when you are "good" to head downstairs. You and your party are then escorted down through the kitchen to a "reserved" area at the bar, which made little sense if there were open seats all around. Interesting to say the least but we'll keep our comments to ourselves, ha!

After a good laugh and a mixed drink, venture across the street to Lucky's Lounge for some real "get-down" music and a more laid back crowd. Reminder: last call for alcohol comes before 2am so get up n running early if you dont usually run on that schedule.

Columbus Day weekend usually brings about a good regatta and some parades. In Boston, the parade starts in East Boston and runs across the city to the North End. People gathered along the narrow streets to catch the bands, troops, and motorcades that came through. Grabbing lunch in the area also worked out as I can never get enough Italian. The day was simply beautiful so a stroll through the old town into the new made for a creative photoshoot.

We grabbed a pedicab towards the harbour downtown and headed to the ICA for some good contemporary art. The exhibition was about Dance and Drawing. I expected the displays to be truly capturing as I am deeply drawn by both forms of art but it turned out to be a meer disappointment and the museum was quite bland to be honest. But I was able to grab a really cool coffee table book at the gift shop which made our time spent all worth it (sweeet).

After a night of great dinner (home cooked salmon and clams which rocked) we made our way into Cambridge for breakfast the following day. We stopped in at Crema cafe for some delicious coffee and breakfast sandwiches. If lunch is what you're craving, Crema also has a delicious lunch menu so please try the thai wrap.

Cambridge is simply beautiful with its cute shops, cafe's and loads of college bookstores. This neighborhood is home to two of the most prominent universities in the States: Harvard and M.I.T. My girlfriend is a current graduate student at Harvard and I am so very proud of her! While she manages classes, work, and a social life she holds the world together for the rest of us crazies. We walked through campus and I got a great little tour of Harvard Yard and a good feel for student life. Tours were being given to prospective students and their families while others chose to lay out in the yard and read in the sun.

Equipped with our reading material, we headed to the library since we both had work to do...(welcome to adult life). The building design was beautifully adorned with moldings and marble stone work. The library was dense with students and professors catching up on material and readings. With no noise allowed there is NO excuse for not completing something, even if its poetry you decide to create in there. The Harvard Museum of Natural History is also an eye-grabber and should be explored if and when in the area. Dinosaurs and pre-historic mammals hang out there as well as species from all continents of today's world. I left enlightened.

I realize how history and its surroundings can really grasp you. As a change from one's modern-day pace, a little old stone and brick can bring about a whole new element of living. I love the comfort of old fireplaces and historic buildings...its very "real". But home is where the heart is, so I go back to my tropics. Take care, Boston.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb