Day 29 - Washinton D.C.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maryland » Cheverly
August 15th 2009
Published: August 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Brekkie was set up in our own little quarters downstairs, then at 8am we headed out to the coach. We were taken to Arlington Cemetery, where we saw the changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and JFK’s gravesite. He has his son on one side of him, Jackie O next to him, with a plot for his daughter next to her. Just around the corner is Robert Kennedy’s gravesite, and I’d imagine that around this area is where they’ve buried recently deceased Edward Kennedy.
After this we saw the Iwo Jima Memorial (yet another war memorial).
We then got dropped at the Smithsonian Museums. The first thing we did was go visit Obama crew at the White house. The flag was flying high which I believe means he was home? So that was kinda cool! We also took a walk around the block to see the front of the house as well… Pretty huge!
We then went to the Washington Monument. Thanks to Carl, we already had tickets to go up the monument (otherwise you have to queue very early in the morning to get tickets for the afternoon!). We still had to line up for our allocated time. We went up 500ft and the view was spectacular. Because the monument is in a fairly central spot, there are views in every direction. Thanks Carl!!
We then went to check out the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. They also had moon rock… so I touched some more! It was ok, but I wasn’t really interested in a lot of it... It was just all planes and what not.
We then took a train up to Chinatown, so we could have a look at a few shops, like Urban Outfitters (we loved that place!).
We headed back to our hotel, where most people got ready and headed out. Carl and I opted for Pizza in my room, where we sat on our Laptops (me on Michelle’s) and some Pinocchio and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory on the TV!
Carl headed back to his room and I went to sleep, only to be woken up by a drunk Loz and Mich =P I soon fell asleep again, before Lauren had even left!


Advertisement



30th August 2009

Aww, that was such a good day. Going up the monument was so great - glad I'd gotten the tickets beforehand though. Then pizza in the evening watching TV was a great way to chill out after all the hectic-ness! Good times spent with a good friend :o)

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb