A Day at the Yards


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maryland » Baltimore
June 14th 2009
Published: September 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

During the season, I visited five MLB stadiums for the first time - US Cellular Field, Nationals Park, Citi Field, new Yankee Stadium, and Camden Yards.

I traveled to Baltimore for the a Braves-Orioles game on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. After a late evening out with friends, I didn't feel up to driving so I bought a same-day Amtrak ticket to/from Baltimore Penn Station. Upon arrival in Baltimore, I transferred to the light rail ($1.60 one-way fare) for the 20-minute ride to the ballpark.

Outside Camden Yards, you can find decent crowds at street vendors and food carts hawking burgers, peanuts, and beverages for very reasonable prices and/or purchase food to bring inside the stadium - quite a change of scenery for one accustomed to attending Yankees games. You can also pack your own lunches and bring knapsacks into the stadium!

My friends and I thoroughly enjoyed our seats behind home plate. The sun was strong but what else would you expect on a clear day. Game wasn't close. The Orioles defeated the Braves, 11-2, behind strong pitching from Brad Bergesen and two HR from Ty Wigginton. One friend was a diehard Braves fan, so we rooted for Atlanta... oh well.

Postgame, we drove to Inner Harbor and walked around. The area was more commercialized than how I remember my last visit 5+ years ago. One of the few remaining historical/architectural landmarks - the power plant - is now adorned with the ESPN Zone, B&N, and Hard Rock Cafe signs. Disappointing.

Regardless, we had a great time!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb