Acadia NP and Bar Harbor


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » Bar Harbor
September 24th 2013
Published: September 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Grand Manan to Bar Harbor


Acadia NPAcadia NPAcadia NP

View of Cadillac Mountain
September 24, 2013

We had to be at the ferry at 6:45 AM this morning, set three alarms and we both woke up before the alarms went off. The 90 minute ride went by quickly as we ate a little breakfast and visited with fellow travelers. We drove through rain for most of the morning.

We stopped at St. Croix Island International Site that commemorates a French settlement on the island that failed miserably. We did have a nice talk with the site manager there and she loaned us an umbrella to take on the interpretive walk. We enjoyed that small site even with all the rain.

We drove the scenic routes on our way to Acadia NP and made a couple of stops just for fun. One was at Jasper Beach, we think we found some jasper but will have to get it verified from our rockhound friends. This state is exactly what we expected it to be...beautiful!

It was very COLD and windy in Acadia this afternoon. We made the drive up Cadillac Mountain, then gave up for the day hoping to do the loop drive tomorrow in better weather. We did have fun walking around Bar Harbor tonight, but didn't eat any lobster as planned. We had stopped at a wonderful little stand this afternoon in Milbridge for THE GREATEST LOBSTER ROLLS ever and we are still stuffed from that. The lobster in the wood smokers outside the restaurants looked so good tonight but we just couldn't do it. I'm sure we'll have more chances as we head down the coast.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

St. Croix International SiteSt. Croix International Site
St. Croix International Site

The interpretive trail had several sculptures representing the Native Americans and the French. Well done.
Jasper Beach, MaineJasper Beach, Maine
Jasper Beach, Maine

Great beach for finding pretty rocks.
Jasper Beach, MaineJasper Beach, Maine
Jasper Beach, Maine

Joe skips a few flat ones.
Jasper Beach, MaineJasper Beach, Maine
Jasper Beach, Maine

Joe shows me his mussel.
Acadia NPAcadia NP
Acadia NP

I like the guard rocks here.
Acadia NPAcadia NP
Acadia NP

Top of Cadillac Mountain, very COLD. I was wearing six layers on top.
Acadia NPAcadia NP
Acadia NP

View of Bar Harbor, cruise ship and islands from top of Cadillac Mt.
Bar Harbor, MEBar Harbor, ME
Bar Harbor, ME

View from our Inn room.


25th September 2013

Nice mussel
I had to enlarge the photo to see Joe's Mussel. We had mussels for dinner last night but I bet they couldn't compare with the lobster rolls.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb