Day 4 - New Orleans


Advertisement
Published: July 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day 4 on our adventure started a bit unusual for us. We slept until almost 9:00 a.m. We couldn’t believe it! We tossed on some shorts and hurried down the grand staircase as to not miss our breakfast. A few other late sleepers soon graced the dinning room, and as everyone’s coffee kicked in, the conversation began to flow. Two of our fellow travelers were from California, and the other two were from, of all places, Pennsylvania! After we all discussed the interesting New Orleans jellies, Mayhaw and Voodoo Pepper, we moved onto some of the articles in the morning paper. Soon we were swapping travel stories and adventures. The two from PA are off to explore the west. Nothing will elicit travel advice like the mention of a cross-country road trip! An hour flew by quickly with our new acquaintances and we found ourselves once again racing to get ready. We managed to shower, dress, hop on the trolley, “walk” about 8 blocks, and sit down for church in 59 min.’s! Glad the church was air-conditioned!

We enjoyed the Sunday Mass at St. Louis Cathedral on Jackson Square. “The Cathedral-Basilica of St. Louis King of France is the oldest Catholic cathedral in continual use in the United States.” It was built and has been in use since 1772.

Next we were off for a Sunday stroll around square in the heart of the French Quarter. The artists did not disappoint! After a full perusal of the talent it was off to the shops where we found a hat for Don and a new dress for me. (Bet you will never guess the color of my new dress!) Successful shopping always works up an appetite and lucky for us we were down the street from the French Market. We found a table at the Gazebo Café, one of the outdoor bistros with live Jazz music and cold rum drinks. As the band played we ate, and ate, and ate some more! We shared a cup of gumbo, Don had a half of a Muffaletta sandwich that was bigger than his hat, and I had the Shrimp Poboy I had been waiting for. With full bellies, it was time to stroll through the rest of the French Market. More of a flea market now than the last time I was down here, but still managed to find a Mardi Grass duck to add to our growing collection. We also found pralines! Mmmmm…pure gluttony! With the heat of the day taking its toll, we made our way back to the trolley stop, winding through the streets of the French Quarter, stopping now and then to listen to street musicians.

Back up to our room for a cool shower and a much needed nap. When did I get so old?

Not fully refreshed, we ventured out once again and found ourselves at the Irish House for a late dinner. The food was very flavorful and interesting. Not your usual Sheppard’s pie kind of pub. After a nice meal, we voted to go back to the B&B and put the white robes to good use! Good night and yes we will sleep tight!

Jill and Don

Advertisement



Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0879s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb