New Orleans


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
February 11th 2013
Published: February 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 10thFebruary: The Big Easy aka New Orleans.

We sailed up the Mississippi River during the night and were alongside the cruise ship terminal in Central New Orleans by normal wake-up time – although I’d been woken up much earlier by major engine vibrations as the ship manoeuvred up to the dock. After breakfast we got off the ship and spent 45 minutes clearing US Immigration then we were met by a lady tour guide who took us to a bus and a two hour tour of New Orleans: much of it spent in traffic delays as there were many parades being held in town to celebrate Mardi Gras. Our first stop was a cemetery: New Orleans is apparently famous for its cemeteries. Then off to City Park, a 1200 acre former plantation which was very nice and would have been even better if the weather had been kinder: it was a grey, overcast and very humid day. We then passed through the Uptown area where the beautiful old fashioned houses of the New Orleans monied classes are located. Strict planning regulations require all new builds to be in character with the neighbourhood i.e. low rise and Victorian era design.
St Lousi Cemetery No 3St Lousi Cemetery No 3St Lousi Cemetery No 3

A new tomb that cost $1 million - according to our tour guide
Finally, we made it to the French Quarter and got to visit Bourbon Street in full Mardi Gras mode. The French Quarter is very picturesque, narrow streets and low rise buildings with wrought iron balconies over the pavements. The streets were mostly traffic free on account of Mardi Gras and there were large numbers of people wandering around. There were also lots of folk in the Mardi Gras spirit, dressed up/down in exotic costumes and wearing lots of beads. We got to sample the local pastry delicacy beigniet, which is lightly fried dough smothered in caster sugar. Rather than take the bus back to the ship Jane and I walked back along the river to the cruise ship terminal.

Only the 60/70 passengers who had boarded the ship in Cozumel re-embarked and about 2,300 new passengers joined the ship at New Orleans. The deck were crowded as we departed New Orleans in the early evening and moved slowly down the Mississippi towards the Gulf of Mexico. I stayed on deck for a while to look at the passing scenery but it soon became increasingly less interesting, lots of oil refineries and factories.

Tomorrow we shall be at sea
City ParkCity ParkCity Park

Oak tree with Spanish moss Jenks with jacket
all day heading for Costa Maya in Mexico.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Uptown New OrleansUptown New Orleans
Uptown New Orleans

Another grand house
Bourbon Street sceneBourbon Street scene
Bourbon Street scene

Objectors to the Mardi Gras fun
Bourbon Street sceneBourbon Street scene
Bourbon Street scene

Mardi Gras participant
Bourbon Street sceneBourbon Street scene
Bourbon Street scene

Mardi Gras participant
Bourbon Street Music Legends ParkBourbon Street Music Legends Park
Bourbon Street Music Legends Park

Another Mardi Gras participant
Riverwalk shopping precinctRiverwalk shopping precinct
Riverwalk shopping precinct

Mardi Gras gear on offer
Heading down riverHeading down river
Heading down river

Following the Carnival Conquest down the Mississippi


12th February 2013

Pleased to hear that you missed the tornado and the severe frontal weather. Hope things are better at sea. Here in Florida its been very pleasant and we have just watched as the exceptional weather that has hit the rest of the USA - not to mention the shootings, both in New Orleans and California! Mexico will seem very calm and civilized by comparison.

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb