Wandering N'awlins...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
January 7th 2011
Published: January 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Riverwalk..Riverwalk..Riverwalk..

..kids using these to look over the Mississippi..
Day got off to a good start when the missing back pack turned up... appears the Samsonite was married. So reunited with my extensive wardrobe and the others bits and pieces.

Kids slept a little later as they had had such a long day yesterday. Took advice from the concierge and ended up at a little place next door called Menas' for breakfast. Had grits...won't have them again. Tasted a bit like sudza a maize dish from Zim but not as good. Caitlin ran with pancakes again. Nice homely little place and now understand the menu will probably go back.

Spent the morning on the Riverwalk and then in the Riverwalk Mall. Really, really enjoying the lack of crowds after Orlando. Just a cool place to wander. People are very friendly but like San Francisco there are a fair few street people around including the mandatory ones that talk to themselves very loudly. Place is also a little grubby, and again more noticable after the more pristine streets of Orlando.

Despite that it is a great place to finally get to. There is so much to see and hear just walking the streets and all the quirkey art,
Beignets..Beignets..Beignets..

..you breathe even a little as you go to eat these and you get covered in icign sugar..can see why.
street performers and buskers and different foods to try.

This afternoon went back into the French Quarter and just looked at what was around. Kids weren't bored either. Had coffee and beignets at Cafe Du Monde by the French Market, a bit of an institution, and both the cafe and beignets had read about in James Lee Burke novels set in Louisiana so that was a bit of a kick putting the place and the food to the novel. The beignets are bascially deep fried French donuts without the hole...they pile three on a plate and then bury them literally under a small hillock of icing sugar. They are great and the test is eating them without being covered in icing sugar...bad look when wearing black jacket. Reubs picked up on how thick the icing sugar was so that everytime Caitlin went to take a bite he'd make her laugh so she'd guffaw and this cloud of icing sugar would envelope her.
Twice was funny then it got a bit annoying...but he was on a roll. Great buskers on the footpath outside the cafe.

Noticed I'm using the word wandering way too regularly so will change it for
Jackson Square..Jackson Square..Jackson Square..

..Andrew Jackson,,,huge military figure in the defeat of the English and went onto become 7th President of US.
sauntered through the French Market...bit of colour with the Mardi Gras masks but not that much really too interesting.

Rest of the afternoon more just seeing what we could see around the French Quarter, through Jackson Square etc. Not a place to get bored and stopped regularly just to listen to these amazing buskers. Every block or so there was another group or solo artist. Mainly blues and a little bit of jazz...as would expect. You see them setting up and they just don't look like much, badly dressed, kind of scruffy but then they open up. This African American woman this afternoon, part of a trio, young fella on drums, just a snare and bass, older guy on a tuba and tapping a tambourine with one hand and the woman, on clarinet. They sounded awesome then she puts down the clarinet and does the vocals...what a cool voice. Caitlin is right into it and stands on the footpath and starts dancing along and loves putting money in the cans, guitar cases or whatever...and as long as it is my money. Still very cool to see her enjoying it so much. Even caught Reubs out a couple of times
The houses..The houses..The houses..

..colourful and interesting and often quirkey..some of it is leaning at odd angles and must be close to demolition..
today tapping his foot...once almost in time!

Came back to the hotel just after dark and dropped off the gear and then went to a little restaurant nearby for dinner...for a change the kids had shrimp and chicken and we had one of the local delicacies...Po'boys. These are basically rolls with a bit of salad and then piled high with shrimp or chicken or whatever else you want...sometimes shrimp and chicken. I considered the Alligator meat Po'boy but passed on it. Thats one kinda of Karma can do without.

Locals don't talk about New Orleans...they pronounce it N'awlins...

The Saints are playing tomorrow and the city is fanatical about them after they won the Superbowl last year and seem to be doing alright this year as well. Two biggest things aimed at tourists here are the Saints and the Mardi Gras... lots of masks and glass...















Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Some other houses..Some other houses..
Some other houses..

..wrought iron and ferns and palms are big features...chains of beads from Mardi Gras hang over them..
Busker of the day..Busker of the day..
Busker of the day..

..listened to these guys for around 20 minutes and they were brilliant..
Sunset over N'awlins..Sunset over N'awlins..
Sunset over N'awlins..

..cool sky between the narrow streets..


8th January 2011

True grits!
Your not supposed to eat grits...they are supposed to be used for fixing up broken pavement. Interesting photo of Reubs looking at the Mississippi, probably star gazing I'd say. Have you thought about a cemetery tour? Sounds weird but hey when in Rome can't be any worse than Cappucin monestaries. Will try to call you tomorrow. Text your phone number if you remember. Take care have fun.
8th January 2011

New Orleans looks fantastic
Hi guys.The music sounds great and I haven't even heard it!! The kids are really getting into all the different experiences aren't they? Would loved to have seen them taking in the music.Caitlin looked beautiful in her Princess dress and they both look as if they have had a ball wherever they've been . Shame that your bag turned up Michael. It would have been a good excuse for you to do some shopping .You could have bought one of those T Shirts that all the tourists buy "I went to N'Awlins and all I bought was this lousy T shirt". Well it won' t be long till you are heading home now,so enjoy and keep storing up the memories!!! Loads of love to you 4
8th January 2011

hello from the Ohiwa Campers
blog now being shared with all at the breakfast table. Brendon Stone has been to NO and is almost crying when reading your blog - been to the french cafe and loved it and just saying the muso's are the best he has heard - he loved looking at your photos - hot hot day here already - all is well - glad you are loving N Orleans!!

Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0767s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb