Not warm yet


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
January 13th 2010
Published: January 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


It’s been soooo cold even in the far south. I hate it! I dreamed we would leave on one of those mild winter days that we sometimes have in the Carolinas in January. We would travel south where we would be warmer still. I thought we would camp in our new van, which we worked so hard to equip. But no...

Friday night was our last night in Fairhope Alabama in the comfortable shelter of Pinky’s house. We’ve spent a few hours every day at the Fairhope library right around the corner where we could get internet access. We bundled up for the first Friday gallery stroll, where a woman asked me where we came from. That was easy to answer, but the next question made me pause. What are you doing here?

We’re on sabbatical I answered. Are you teachers she asked? Well no, I answered. Today I had to go to the dictionary to check on the word. Yes, I like it, it sounds sophisticated: sabbatical - a period of leave from work for research, study, or travel, often granted with pay to college professors every seven years. Well… it doesn’t quite fit, but I can’t find a better term.

Where from there? Harrah’s Grand Casino in Biloxi MS! Happy, warm, and dry in a nice (cheap) room! As we wheeled our cooler through the lobby I was prepared to say, “My husband’s on a special diet!” Unfortunately, the George Ohr Museum, which we came to see, was in transition to a new building so they didn’t have any of his works on display. George Ohr was a wild man, the mad potter of Biloxi who in the late 1800’s! We were directed to the Walter Anderson Museum across the bridge in Ocean Springs. WOW, we were not disappointed! We arrived during a free opening event with wine, great seafood, and an amazing show. Plus they had about 30 George Ohr pieces on display. A door closes and a window opens.

I used to joke that every time we pulled out of the driveway Steve would ask, “Can we go to New Orleans?” Always my reply, “Not today dear.”

We pulled into NO Monday afternoon. We lucked out w/a nice room in the French Quarter for $49 a night w/free parking and wifi access. Perfect. We’re happy, still cold, but happy!

We had a little planning chat over beer and oysters yesterday afternoon. We may just motor on out to the southwest, and do these LA and TX things on the way home. Warmer in March, right?


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0814s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb