N.O.L.A


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
December 13th 2008
Published: December 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Jambalya- it's a word from Scrubs that didn't mean much until we got here. It's a local dish here in New Orleans. Haven't had much access to the internet because it's not free here like it has been in all the other hotels we have stayed in, but i decided to suck it up and pay for it.
A lot of people on the flights we have been on have been ill, so consequently both Lozzie and I were sick while we were in Cancun, and I haven't quite recovered yet. The 3 flights we took to get from Cancun to N.0 got me pretty congested and yucky, so on the first morning we got here I got up really early and went out in search of a chemist. AND IT WAS SNOWING!
It hasn't snowed in N.O since 2004 so it was pretty amazing. It lasted until about 11am and then gave way to rain. Today, on the other hand, it has been sunny and warm and the whole vibe of the place was different. Yesterday we spent the day going around most of the shops and a few sights and there weren't many people about- but today the place just exploded with artists, tarot card readers and musicians on every corner playing blues and jazz and even some more recent pop music and pub rock. A lot of Mowtown stuff and even a bit of Paul Simon, Eagles, Beatles... It has been amazing. We went out to dinner at a 5 star steakhouse last night and then went to a couple of bars.
Because I am underage I made Loz go to the bar and get all the drinks, and she comes back the first time with this plastic cup with about a litre of draught beer in it and I was thinking "Holy shit... why did she only get one?"
Anyway needless to say after that the night got a bit messy, and I got to see my 5 star steak again later on. Underage schmunderage I say!
Anyway with tonight being a Friday there are a lot of people here from out of town and so all IDs are being checked, and with a lot of bars you have to be 21 to get in, so none tonight but Loz bought a drink in the street and we still saw some good music. Also there are people standing on all the balconies throwing down beads. "Damn beads"!!
During the day today we went out for breakfast (unfortunately choosing a really horrible cafe and having food that wasn't even worthy of McDonald's) and then rented push bikes and used them to travel around the city. We went out to the cemetery and along the canals and stuff. Pretty kool :-)

In summary I have decided that America would be a great place to live if they got rid of all the Americans! I joke- I would definately move to NO


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Street Big BandStreet Big Band
Street Big Band

Little kid included


13th December 2008

Snow?
Wadda you mean snow, the big easy is way down south, that is like snow in Port,seriously weird. Great to see the pictures though. Sorry to hear you was sick. We are putting up with 28 degree days, rain in the mornings so it is not all good. Festival of the sun -aka festival of the mud, as per normal, was good according to the brown muddy nat. off to sailing, talk later

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb