Successful Habitat Build


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
February 24th 2008
Published: February 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We left the 3rd Annual Gravlee Reunion Care-A-Vanner Build with the same mixed feelings we experienced the last two years. It was with pride that the group completed the finish work in 14 homes during our 6 weeks of work. Finish work is hard and we repeated the same tasks - scraping drywall from floors, installing trim, painting walls, painting/caulking trim, painting doors, installing wood floors, building sheds, etc. We got to meet several family members who were so thankful and three families moved the weekend we left. What satisfaction that has given us!

On the other hand we were leaving behind those families who will continue to wait for a safe and decent home. And then there are those great friends who go their separate ways. That's very hard. But our planning for '09 Reunion has begun and we pray that all of us will be able to work together once again.

We are just a few of the thousands of volunteers who have helped St Tammany Parrish renovate 13 homes and provide new homes for 65 families since Katrina. There are many corporate sponsors which support this effort with monies and in-kind gifts. Did you know that Whirlpool donates a washer and dryer for each home built by HFH? Merrill Lynch, Kraft Foods and Vidal Sassoon and other corporations have each sponsored homes costing them $75,000 per home.

I have spoken about the need for help in my last blog entry. So many families are living in FEMA trailers or in crowded apartments on waiting lists for a real home. The goal of St. Tammany Parish HFH is to build homes for 24 of these families by December 31, 2008. They must raise $1,800,000 to make this happen.

Think about losing 4000 homes and 1000 businesses in your region. And one of those families could be yours. Think about volunteering to help through Habitat or the many churches and service organizations involved. Or maybe you have the gift of fundraising and could work through your community organization. Every dollar counts.

If you feel inspired to help send me an email and I can connect you with people who can pave the way.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb