Mammoth cave national park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky
June 25th 2014
Published: June 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We started Saturday morning for Houchins Ferry Campground. We put coordinates in GPS which we took from a website and we ended up in middle of nowhere. We went back to visitor center which was 15 miles from that point and took the exact address of the campground and finally we reached there in evening. We were expecting a nice river side camping before we start an adventurous cave trip but we disappointed. Campsites were good but toilets were really dirty and stinky. We had to use visitor center's restrooms which are 20 miles far from the site. Water in the green river flows so slow that it looks still water only and you will see lot of junk and won't think to swim in that. No hiking trails from the camping site is another disadvantage if you are thinking to hang around. River banks are not to sit and have good time. Overall it has no advantage of a river side camping plus stinky toilets.

After a poor camping experience, Sunday morning we reached to Mammoth park visitor center and took our tickets. We have reserved the tour 2 months back already. We took the wild cave tour which is considered the most hard cave tour in the park. Please visit http://nps.gov before any reservations to know all the challenges you might face 300 feet below the surface. We started the tour at 9 AM in morning and it was 6 hour long. It is like trekking below the surface. We climbed rocks, crawled narrow passages, dragged our body in water like they do in military training. But every challenge was so short that as soon as you realize that you might panic, you will see the way out and will be out in next moment. But still you need to stay calm while passing through the tight passages. And most importantly, LISTEN TO YOUR GUIDE. Do exactly what your guide suggest.

Definitely its a different experience and if you are fit enough then you should visit this place.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb