Goodbye Spring Creek


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky
April 1st 2006
Published: April 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ready to goReady to goReady to go

Maria and I departed 10 minutes later, along with Tygger and Ginger.
April 1

Departure from Spring Creek, our Kentucky place, was unhurried and stress free. I decided to put both cats in the PT Cruiser, rather than one in each car. Our Alaska caravan consists of the five year old PT, a three year old Toyota Prius hybrid, and a Cessna 150. My son Scott and Maria, my adventure travel partner, have been very cooperative in trying to control the weight loaded into the trailer and the cars. Still, I am concerned about the PT Cruiser’s ability to handle a fully loaded trailer for 5,000 miles, including the Rocky Mountains and the Alaska Highway. Despite our weight control efforts, 7 months worth of gear for three people and two cats is a lot of stuff.

Today was my first ever drive through western Kentucky. So far, the winding back roads have rewarded us with fields of wildflowers, lovely farms, newborn foals, and a relaxed first day of the Spring Creek to Boise portion of the Alaska trip. Owensboro is the first night’s resting place. Though my itinerary called for Mt. Vernon, Illinois, I wanted to put less pressure on Scott for the first day’s flying, and also allow Maria to view the travel as a relaxing and fun adventure rather than arduous and long days on the road. With a brunch stop at Grumpy’s in Burkesville Ky, and several stops to view scenery, check the trailer tires, etc. the average mph was not impressive. The average mpg, however, is looking better than I expected for the PT considering the load and the hills.

Speaking of foals, I have a dim memory of once hearing that all (horses or thoroughbreds or race horses) are considered to have as their birthday April 1. I forget the reason, if I ever heard it. I will check with sister Susie on that, and see how the foaling season is going at Painted Pepper Farm.

Met a nice and extremely helpful fellow at the OWB airport. Let him know that Scott was expected in the Cessna in about 2 hours, and he passed the word to the other sections of the FBO. He also helped me contact Diamond Lake Resort campground, where we set up camp. The resort has new owners as of December ‘05, and it is evident they are making an effort. However, a race track or some sort of motor sport facility nearby, judging by the sound of it, interferes with the tranquility you seek when camping.

A big plus, and highly recommended, was a quaint little roadside dairy bar about a mile east of the resort. Grilled tuna sandwiches with tomato were delicious, and only $1.35 each.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb