Louisville Day 1 & 2: Valentine's Day Repeat


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky » Louisville
February 14th 2009
Published: February 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

21c Museum Hotel21c Museum Hotel21c Museum Hotel

Mosque made of bullets. Incredible.

Repeat


As we pulled up to the Seelbach Hilton I realized that unintentionally the last time we were here was exactly seven years ago in 2002 when we were living in Cincinnati and came down to visit the city and spend some time in Bourbon Country. It didn't feel like a long time ago but seven years is a long time and the city had changed a little from how we remembered it, but it still remains a city that seems to lag 10 years behind the rest of the Midwest . . . it's downtown is completely lifeless and the only attempt at urban revival is Fourth Street Live which is still seen as a great project at a time when such project's times have passed elsewhere.


Retail in Louisville


We stopped on our way into town at the newest shopping destination in town, an open-air lifestyle center called The Summit. I see a lot of shopping centers around the country and this is the worst open-air center I have ever seen and yet, in what seems to be typical Louisville fashion, the place was jam-packed. They had a decent list of retailers but the layout was horrible and
Our Room at the SeelbachOur Room at the SeelbachOur Room at the Seelbach

Redone, not bad, but not as good as the old design.
there was only one point and out which created massive back-ups. We had lunch at J. Gumbo's which is a local Cajun fast-casual place, the food is not at all good.

We next walked downtown which involved a bunch of vacant and decrepit old storefronts or impregnable office towers, it was very windy and unpleasant on top of it. Our final destination was the 21c Museum Hotel which feels out of place in this town and seemed to be an oasis for the city's alternative population. The museum at 21c was actually fabulous both from its scale and from the quality of the contemporary art it exhibits. We had a cocktail at the bar which was jamming at 3PM while the rest of downtown was a veritable ghost town.

At night we went to Fourth Street Live which, as stated previously, is not so impressive and sits in what feels like an abandoned and decrepit downtown area. There is absolutely no retail in downtown Louisville save for the Borders and Footlocker at Fourth Street Live, both of which are completely overrun by the few urban inhabitants. It doesn't feel unsafe here, it is just depressing. We went to a comedy
21c Museum Hotel21c Museum Hotel21c Museum Hotel

With the crazy red penguins. Wonder how they got that variance on a historical building!
show at the Improv featuring Hal Sparks, the comedy club is very nice, the food was okay (served by our friend Captain Brien from the Marco Island post), and Hal Sparks was funny. Jennifer thought he was really funny but he's grown his hair out David Spade style and I thought he was okay funny, not as good as the hypnotist at Off the Hook in Marco Island.

Crossing the River


Rather than go back the way we came where one of the cops might recognize us as one of the three cars hitting 100MPH on I-71, we headed to the north bank of the Ohio River to also see some of what scenic Indiana has to offer. In short . . . looks like Ohio.

Immediately across the river is particularly sad, I don't know what industry used to exist in Jeffersonville, IN but it is clearly long gone and has left ugliness all over behind. So we didn't stay there long after visiting the two malls in town which sit next to one another. We drove up I-65 in search of what Indiana's nature might have to offer.


Refuges and Parks


As a conclusion from
My Beautiful ValentineMy Beautiful ValentineMy Beautiful Valentine

Ah what patience, even 7 years later!
our drive, my suggestion would be to go further west to the Hoosier National Forest which includes the town of French Lick where the famous resorts are located. I am sure the resorts would not be up to our standards but you can only expect so much sometimes and this is likely the best the area has to offer.

We pass the Clark State Forest which is rather small and did not look all that interesting; then the Muscatatuck National Wildlife Refuge which is also small and near Seymour and we somehow missed the turn so kept on going; then the Big Oaks NWR which seems to have not northern entrance despite being so big, so we couldn't go there; finally settling on the Versailles State Forest which was no different than any other large Ohio park save for the nearby bison farm and covered bridge we photographed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Grand Dame of LouisvilleGrand Dame of Louisville
Grand Dame of Louisville

The Seelbach Hilton
Seng JewelersSeng Jewelers
Seng Jewelers

No, you can't have that, the old man Davis was stuck on having us buy an $8000 ring.
Cathedral of the AssumptionCathedral of the Assumption
Cathedral of the Assumption

Spire in the early morning light.


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb