Bourbon Trail: Day 2


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky » Lexington
October 2nd 2013
Published: May 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Day two on the trail was a good one. We took this day to check out some of the remaining distilleries on Lexington. Buffalo Trace, while not officially on the trail, was my favorite distillery. Named after the buffalo crossing of old, Buffalo Trace easily won a place in my heart and a spot in my liquor cabinet. Our tour guide Freddy was quite knowledgeable and very friendly. One thing that deeply impressed me about the bourbon trail is that the industry is like a big family. Buffalo Trace trains all its workers to do every job from the bourbon line to the lawn care. During periods of slow production, they will employee their workers with beautification projects to keep them employed. In a day and age where corporations are villainized as being only out for profits, this was rather refreshing to hear. Buffalo Trace is the distillery that also houses Balton's Single Barrel Bourbon and Pappy Van Winkle's. Now Blanton's is a fantastic bourbon and also offers collectable corks that when lined up together, display a race horse in stages of a gallop. It was a very smooth and tasty bourbon well worth the price. Ole Pappy's, as I like to call it, is not owned by Buffalo Trace just housed there. The search for the Pappy's was a long and onerous one. The rare spirit which retails between 40-100 a shot and 250-300 a bottle is a legend among bourbon drinkers that as eluded us up until this point. There, unfortunately, was no tasting of this masterpiece so our quest would continue a little longer. Also Buffalo Trace makes a bourbon cream, similar to Bailey's, which was amazing mixed with root beer. I have yet to find it around my home town, but when I do it am buying it on the spot. Woodford Reserve was next on the trail. A premium brand and the most popular stop on the tour. While waiting for our entrance I took the opportunity to relax on a rocking chair and just take in the beauty of the grounds. It was a breathtaking spot. Woodford is known as one of the few whiskey's in the world that triple distills its spirit as opposed to double distillation. This process adds to the smoothness of the brand. I was a little upset that we were unable to sample the double oak, which is a new flavor put out by Woodford, but one cannot really complain too much when the other option is Woodford. Reserve. One other interesting fact about Woodford is that it is the official bourbon of the Kentucky Derby. So when the Mint Juleps are flowing know that you can toast your glass with some Woodford pride!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Enjoying the ViewEnjoying the View
Enjoying the View

There is nothing more relaxing than a rocking chair.


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb