Bourbon and Caves


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky » Bardstown
October 7th 2009
Published: October 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We decided to spend a couple of weeks in middle America. First stop was Bardstown, Ky. A quaint little town in the green rolling hills of Kentucky. Fortunately, it is also part of the bourbon trail of kentucky. There are eight distilleries who have banded together to promote Americas whiskey. We were able to visit Makers Mark, Woodford Reserve, Jim Beam and Heaven Hill. Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve were in beautiful country and had fantastic tours (and whiskeys too). You get to see every facet of the production from fermenting the mash, to distillation, aging and bottling. We tasted the mash from the first day of fermentation to the last day when tasting actually does give you that bitter beer face! Fortunately distilling and aging does make a better drink. The Jim Beam tour was not very good and is basically a 10 minute movie.

Also took a 4 1/2 mile 5 hour tour of Mammoth cave. Considering that we did not see the other 296 miles of the cave, one can understand why it is called Mammoth cave.

Next is on to North Carolina and the Smoky Mountains and Ashville.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Makers MarkMakers Mark
Makers Mark

Fermentation tanks
Heaven HillHeaven Hill
Heaven Hill

Aging warehouses
Heaven HillHeaven Hill
Heaven Hill

Good stuff!!


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb